Liverwurst!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Do You Feel About Liverwurst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have loved liverwurst for as long as I can remember. I used to eat it plain, by the slice. I love it between two slices of rye toast, with Miracle Whip on both sides, thin-sliced onion, thin-sliced ripe tomato, and iceberg lettuce

This was my go-to sandwich after brook trout fishing with my dad, and any time I could get away from those who cant stand the sell of it (DW). Loved it so much, I had to figure out how to make it. Here's my recipe:

1 lb pork liver, or tub of chicken lliveres
1 stick salted butter
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. Morton's Quick Cure
/13 tsp. ground, dried ginger
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. granulated onion.
water

If using pork liver, chop into 1/2 inch cubes. If using chicken liver, just throw it into a pot. Cover liver with water Add the Morten's Quick Cure and bring to a simmer. cook until the liver is still slightly pink and soft in the middle. Drain off the water and place the liver into a blender with the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth. Put into a suitable container and into the refrigerator until cold.

This pate has the texture and flavor of liverwurst.. The first time I tasted ginger in a really good store-bought brand, I was surprised and delighted by the flavor. I had to add that flavor to my own liverwurst.

Oh, and just sos ya knows, liverwurst and Braunschweiger are not the same sausage. Braunschweiger is a smoked liverwurst, with added pork meat, while liverwurst is unsmoked and may have bacon added to enhance the flavor. Both should be spreadable at room temperatures.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like with mustard and Sriracha on bread and sometimes Swiss.

Or on celery with sriracha and capers little S&P.

If you like in crackers try on a Ritz with a little cream cheese, Added, Sriracha, a smoked oyster on top. Lots of different flavor going with that. one of my thoughts after a few beers one night and liked it enough for many repeats long after.

Last edited:
I love liverwurst/braunschweiger. In a sandwich with mayonnaise and sliced tomato, it is outstanding.

Tell me how you feel about one of my favorite sandwich ingredients.

Almost the same as your sandwich, except switch the tomato out for onion. I have to have onions on liverwurst sandwiches :yum:

I just took out a loaf of potato rye from the freezer last night, to make some brawnschweiger sandwiches today. Oh, I love that stuff!

Almost the same as your sandwich, except switch the tomato out for onion. I have to have onions on liverwurst sandwiches :yum:

Me too, me too !!!!!!!

I love to take salteens, little bit of mayo, piece of liverwurst and onion on top. My favorite lunch time snack. And....yes, I do have some liverwurst I forgot about in the refrigerator.

Speaking of liverwurst, DH just reminded me that I have couple pieces of liver in the freezer that I forgot all about also. Goody, tonights dinner (for me). Floured, cooked with lots of onions and lots of gravy with mashed potatoes and a nice green veggie.

(We older people need these reminders now and then. lol)

Homemade:
1 tub chicken livers (about 2 cups)
Cover in eater on a teo wiart daucepan. Add 1/2 tsp. Morton's Quick cure. Brong to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Drain and place livers into blender with 1 stick butter. 1/2 tsp. Black pepper, 1/ tsp. rubbed sage, 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp. dried, ground ginger. Blend intol silky smooth. Remove from the blender onto plastic wrap, forming a log. Roll to the size you eant and refrigerate until cold. This can be used like livereurst, or warmed to room temp and used as a pate'. You can also add gently cooked bacon, or smokey ham if you want to add another flavor dimension. You can also add more or less sage, and paprika to add color. Enjoy. When you tweeak this recipe, it is just like livereurst. I kist made a batch of this for some freinds who we get together with for New Year's Eve. The wife loves it. Me I have to be envious as I love it too
Unfortunately, I can't eat liver due to kidney problems.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Funny you should mention this today, Chief, 'cause I'm making a batch of liver paté today, to have with that rye bread I baked yesterday. The original recipe is for 12 oz chicken livers, but I have 12 oz batches of frozen pork liver, so I'm using that.

"Cover in eater on a teo wiart daucepan."

I'm pretty sure that should be: Cover in water in a two quart saucepan

Thanks Taxi. You are incredible. I am lousy trying; to enter things from my phone. I'm a touch typist, not a hunt and peck kind of guy. But the homemade pate/liverwurst is still good.:LOL:

Though I love it in a sandwich (I call these breathkiller sandwiches in my cookbook), I love to cut off a disc, like I did with my Dad when I was a kid, and just munch it, straight up, no crackers, no bread, no anything but liverwurst and teeth. Oh, and by the way, I saw someone state that they were going to make theirs with pork liver. Pork liver is even better than chicken liver. You wan't be disappointed.:yum:

Interesting enough, liverwurst and Braunshweiger are not the same thing, though they are thought to be in the U.s. According to this site - https://buttercreambakeshop.net/liverwurst-vs-braunschweiger/, Braunsweiger is smoked liverwurst. Other sites state that liverwurst has mostly liver, while Braunshweiger has pork, ham, or bacon added to the mix. I don't care. I like them both.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had that paté on the rye for dinner, along with some salad, for something nutritious. I definitely could have eaten a lot more! I told a friend, who stopped by while I was getting it cooked, that I probably wouldn't eat it all by the time he stops in tomorrow!:LOL:

It wasn't as finely ground as the ones with chicken livers, but definitely stronger flavored, which was expected.
Liver paté, processed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a wonderful old recipe for a Danish pate called "leverpostej". I hesitate to make it because grinding the liver and fat makes a horrible, bloody mess. I need to try doing it in the food processor. Any tips for converting the recipe from using a meat grinder to using a food processor?

Me too, me too !!!!!!!

I love to take salteens, little bit of mayo, piece of liverwurst and onion on top. My favorite lunch time snack. And....yes, I do have some liverwurst I forgot about in the refrigerator.

Speaking of liverwurst, DH just reminded me that I have couple pieces of liver in the freezer that I forgot all about also. Goody, tonights dinner (for me). Floured, cooked with lots of onions and lots of gravy with mashed potatoes and a nice green veggie.

(We older people need these reminders now and then. lol)
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed my dinner last night. One more nice piece still left in the freezer for another time. But I STILL haven't eaten my liverwurst in the refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom