Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megcoci

Assistant Cook
I am we to this site. I am planning my Christmas eve menu. Would like to make lobster fra diavolo. Lobster is expensive and I I'll be serving 25 hungry adults. Instead of buying frozen lobster tails, I was thinking of buying the whole lobster. Need about 12 to 15 1 1/4 lb lobsters. Wantto know I can break off claws and tails, and freeze them until Xmas, if so, should I cook them first the freeze or just freeze uncooked. I plan on using bodies to mKe stock then freeze. Has anyone done this. Any advice?thanks

Coco

I wish I could be on your guest list! The recipes I looked at require 1 pound blanched lobster meat, from claws and tails to serve 4 hungry people, or 6 polite people. Serving 25 boggles my mind in terms of expense, not to mention application with serving so many people. I have limited experience with lobsters (left coast here) but someone will be along soon with lobster knowledge to help you. Till then, welcome to Discuss Cooking! :chef:

Last edited:
I deal with spiny lobster a lot. I always freeze the tails raw, simply wrapped in plastic wrap. The "vein" is always removed prior to freezing. I would be concerned with freezing the claws, whether cooked or not, because the fat may go rancid in the freezer. I would cook the claws, remove the meat from the shell and freeze it, making sure the fat is removed.

You can cook them first and clean out all the meat then freeze the meat (air tight) or in the water they were cooked in. All in all, I don't think you will yield enough meat to feed 25. You will need 1 1/4 lbs per person! Think about adding clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp etc. A Cioppino , only served over Pasta.

I agree with S&P. Each person a lobster, 1-1.25#. Or go with a seafood "feast" to "cheap'n" it up. Will also help have'n a cheese tray and other hor dourves(sp? am I :LOL:)

I know it is a busy time, but if you can try and cook day of event. Then buy some frozen snow & king crab, etc.

Good luck. I also didn't get my invite in mail yet. Should be here soon though, right? lol;)

Happy Holidays

Thank you everyone for you replies. There is usually lots of different fish prepared for the night. I usually do king crab leg. I thought I would do lobster this time. In red sauce over pasta. It's actually cheaper to buy the whole fresh lobster than just buying the tails. That is why I wanted to know if you could freeze. I think I will try and do one for the heck of it to see how is comes out before Christmas time. My fish monger tells me that he will remove tails and claws for me so I won't have to do that part of it. Thanksgiving time is when lobster go on sale for about $6.99 a lb. Will also be doing mussels, flounder, fried shrimp, mushrooms stuffed with crab, smoked Salmon and clams. So the pasta with Lobster is just a taste for most. Thanks. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Coco

Dear Lord! Coco, where do you live?! that is a dream meal! It will b a hit no matter what!

I followed alton browns lobster deal one time from good eats. We all really liked it. from live to par boil then roast a stuffing in cavity, etc. good its it was!

I have never ever had lobster what does it taste like

I deal with spiny lobster a lot. I always freeze the tails raw, simply wrapped in plastic wrap. The "vein" is always removed prior to freezing. I would be concerned with freezing the claws, whether cooked or not, because the fat may go rancid in the freezer. I would cook the claws, remove the meat from the shell and freeze it, making sure the fat is removed.

WHAT??? did you just say that fat can go rancid in the freezer? craig, this is the very first time in my life i'm hearing that such a thing is possible! i know that a bottle of oil is subject to go rancid sitting for prolonged periods unfridgerated in a cupboard....please dumb it down for me, craig. i know you can do it!:) explain how it is that fat can go bad in the freezer where foods (including fat) are being preserved? thank you, craig!:)

WHAT??? did you just say that fat can go rancid in the freezer? craig, this is the very first time in my life i'm hearing that such a thing is possible! i know that a bottle of oil is subject to go rancid sitting for prolonged periods unfridgerated in a cupboard....please dumb it down for me, craig. i know you can do it!:) explain how it is that fat can go bad in the freezer where foods (including fat) are being preserved? thank you, craig!:)

No, I said the fat in shellfish can go rancid in the freezer. Since your tone comes across as some little kid who has to touch the burner to learn that IT will burn you, I'll let you do the research or better yet, you boil some whole shellfish and stick it in the freezer for 3-4 months, eat it and tell me if you like the taste or smell. Heck you don't even have to cook it!

Just to point you in the right direction:

Crawfish | Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board

http://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/mfr448/mfr4482.pdf

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/hec/FNH-00222.pdf

Do I need to dumb it down further?;)

First it doesn't taste like chicken.:LOL: Depends on the "lobster".:) I've tasted many different species and to me they all have flavors that are distinct from each other. It also depends on whether it is cooked or raw and the method in which it was prepared. In other words, you'll have to try it for yourself!;) BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
shezz said:

I would describe it as something like a sweet shrimp, only better. Drawn butter puts it over the top!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom