Lobster Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Cooking Cop. Here's a link to a recipe that serves 6.

If you do a Google search for "lobster bisque recipe," you will find tons of recipes. You might do what I do. Pick and choose from the recipes found and create your own from the components you like. Happy searching.:)

Hi., this is a recipe I use for lobster bisque. It's really good.

INGREDIENTS

* 3 green onions, chopped
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup cooked and cubed lobster meat
* 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
* 1/4 cup dry sherry
* 1 pinch ground white pepper
* salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Reserve 2 tablespoons sliced scallion tops for garnish. Cook and stir remaining scallions in the vegetable oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
3. Add lobster, half and half, sherry, white pepper and salt. Cook and stir until heated through. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved scallion tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd strongly suggest placing the cooked lobster shells with stock in a blender, process, then strain and add this to your soup stock. Really ramps up the lobster taste! That's what they do in restaurants.

Lobster Bisque needs the shells in order to be brought up to great flavor. Some restaurants use a Lobster "Base," but I've found all of them to be loaded with salt and additives. It really is not as hard as it sounds to start with the lobster bodies.

You can also substitute shrimp (use the shrimp shells for the stock) or crab, for excellent bisque of these other favorites.

Lobster Bisque

makes 6 servings

6 lobster bodies
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup each of diced onions, carrots, celery
2 cups dry white wine
2 quarts water
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, mashed
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
1/4 cup each unsalted butter, all-purpose flour (for roux)
1 cup heavy cream
dash of Tabasco sauce (or cayenne pepper)
3 tablespoons Cognac
2 cups lobster meat

1. Break up lobster bodies, removing and reserving any meat you find) and grind them, one at a time in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.

2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pan. Add onions, carrots, celery and sauté until the onions are translucent.

3. Add the ground bodies, wine, tomato paste, seasonings and water. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour.

4. Strain through a fine sieve or chinois, pressing down hard on the shells and vegetables to get all the flavorful juices out. Strain again through a double thickness of dampened cheesecloth. Return the broth to the heat and reduce to about 4 cups.

[You can prepare the recipe up to this point and freeze it for later use.]

5. Melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and stir to blend thoroughly. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes to remove the raw flour taste. Do not let the roux get brown.

6. Add broth, stirring with a whisk. Bring the whole mixture to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Strain again through a double thickness of dampened cheesecloth.

[Your recipe can be prepared to this point early on the day you wish to serve it.]

7. Add the cream and Tabasco, and reheat.

8. In another pan, melt remaining butter, add lobster meat and sauté. Add Cognac to warm, ignite and shake pan until flame subsides. Add the bisque. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper, if needed.

Last edited:
Sounds yummy ChefJune! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Lobster is too expensive for me. How much crab or shrimp can I substitute in this recipe? TIA!

Chopstix said:
Sounds yummy ChefJune! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Lobster is too expensive for me. How much crab or shrimp can I substitute in this recipe? TIA!
About two cups of cooked shrimp (or lump crab) would correspond to the lobster. I would use medium (16-21 count) shrimp in bisque.

If you buy King or snow crab legs/claws, you could use those shells for your bisque. :chef:

This recipe came from a chef in Avignon about 15 years ago. The bisque had a "loup de mer" flan in the center of the dish. If anyone wants that recipe, I'll post it for you tonight. :) When I went back to Avignon two years later, the restaurant was gone, and no one knew where the chef had moved to... too bad! This dish is fabulous, and impressive to serve.

I love Lobster Bisque and this recipe is a little bit different from mine and I think it looks better. Thanks and I'll give it a try.

ShrimpRecipes said:
Hi., this is a recipe I use for lobster bisque. It's really **** good.

INGREDIENTS

* 3 green onions, chopped
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup cooked and cubed lobster meat
* 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
* 1/4 cup dry sherry
* 1 pinch ground white pepper
* salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Reserve 2 tablespoons sliced scallion tops for garnish. Cook and stir remaining scallions in the vegetable oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
3. Add lobster, half and half, sherry, white pepper and salt. Cook and stir until heated through. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved scallion tops.

This is not a lobster bisque, it is more like a chowder.

Any bisque, beit lobster, crab, tomato, etc. needs to be pureed. That is the definition of a bisque. The classical method has the shells ground, made into a paste, then used to thicken the soup.

Thanks ChefJune! :) Ya I'd be interested in that loup de mer.... Avignon is one place I'd like to visit one day. Lucky you.

Back
Top Bottom