"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Place 15g Chamomile flowers in a 1-litre jar. Fill two thirds of the jar with boiling water. Add 3-5 drops of essential oil of Thyme. Cover and let cool for half an hour. Open the lid and inhale the fumes, taking a few deep breaths. Repeat as desired throughout the day.
Daisy, as a professional grower, I got into all sorts of herbs. In fact, at one time I had one of the largest selections of herbs in my greenhouse available in southern Illinois.
I have terrible allergies, that have gotten worse over the years due to such prolonged exposure. There is no way I could sniff the the fumes from that chamomile and thyme infusion without going into a wheezing fit.
But I can drink chamomile tea (I love it...makes me sleep like a baby), and use lots of thyme in my cooking. It's one of my favorite herbs.

So go figure. I think everyone is different. I know for sure I'm a little weird.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I've eaten local honey, especially in the springtime, for years. I'm not sure if it helped much, but I'd like to think so since I love honey!

BC

Old 07-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Makes sense to me. Its what doctors do dont they when they inject small amounts of the allergen under the skin to desinsitize you to the allergen?

My local farmers market carries local Honey on Long Island. I would think that where there are bees, there would be honey, would should be just about everywhere.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Wow Daisy, do you think these rememdies would work for asthma? Since pollen induces some attacks, I think this might lessen the attack or hopefully alliviate it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

VeraBlue - have him break out the old phone book and look for the county agriculture extension office ... and have him ask them for information on a source for locally produced RAW honey. Commercially produced "pasteurized" honey will not have the "homeopathic desensitizing" properties.

Of course, the results will not be the same (as reliable) as the allergen specific desensitizing shots he would get from an allergist for a couple of reasons: (1) the pollen he is sensitive to may not be something that the bees collect to make honey and/or (2) the honey may be produced prior to, or after, the pollen of the antagonist blooms - which means it will not be in the honey and therefore will have no natural desensitizing properties at all! Bees generally go for sweet nectars ... I've not run across "ragweed", "mountain cedar", or "dust" honey - the three things that I am most allergic to in the summer for example.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

There is also the state dept. of agriculture you can contact. and also the
yellow pages. like was mentioned. you might also ask the people at the
local farmers market if they don`t have any honey there they might know
some body. that is if they live out in the country. being from pa. you could
ask the amish people.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate your ideas and suggestions.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Sensitive Topic

Honey is one thing I know something about. My ex had bees in the yard. He would get calls from people who would tell him they had swarm in their yard. He would go over and get them and bring them home. Rather than have them exterminated people should try to look at the near future here. Although I didn't care to have the bees so close to the house they are truly beneficial to the environment as well as helpful to people in many ways. Now that people are using so many pesticides on their grass and eliminating dandilions I don't see any bees. They are something I used to see everywhere. I don't fault people for not wanting them around. It is just that how can we live together? Bees and people. All this chemically controlled plants we are not getting any real food value. So strange that it seems lot of fresh fruit I buy doesn't rot the way it used to. Wonder how it helps our body if this happens. I see more sweat bees and wasps than regular honey bees. Maybe because my ex isn't around they all left! I just question how this change is going to affect us in days to come. I would like to know if any of you have noticed the absence of honey bees?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Sous Chef

He could try mixing part honey with part sugar or something so he only gets smaller amounds and maybe won't get a reaction? I know people who are lacktose intolerent but can have part milk with part soymilk in moderate amounts. So yeah thats where I got that idea.

Does anyone know the difference between "super-premium" (more expensive honey) and just regular old store-brand honey? How can one honey be better than the other?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Fact

Some beekeepers add corn syrup to the honey in order to have more to sell. When corn syrup is added the honey normally will not congeal like pure honey. I would rather buy honey that has already settled and know I am getting pure honey rather than diluted. But when you sell pure honey people complain that it did not stay liquid but got thick. If only you could inform people of these facts. There is always some kind of proof if something is pure.