Local specialty dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4me, I'm a little more than half way down the California coast, near Santa Barbara, and our regional dishes are much like yours with maybe more of a Mexican influence, being closer to the border.

For you, and us, there's just nothing better than a typical Santa Maria Barbecue . Tri Tip with homemade Pica de Gallo rules!
check this out.......
A taste of California history: Santa Maria Style barbecue | Gadling.com

Thanks for starting this thread.......so interesting.

Nice article!

Are you a fan of McClintocks beans too?
I have my BIL get them for me from time to time.

Chesapeak Bay blue crab, soft shell crab, and oysters.
I've only been here a few months, but it seems to me here it's less about the type of crab and more about it being cooked in Old Bay. :)
Here are a couple others I've noticed since I've moved to the state:
Gelati/frozen custard from Rita's or The Cow (my husband prefers the former, I prefer the latter)
Build-your-own-burgers with a list of topping choices the length of my arm
Pit beef/pork/chicken-Even though it was so freezing when I went to a game that my sandwich was cold by the time I made it to my seat, the pit pork sandwich I got from Boog's Barbecue in Camden Yards may be the best pork sandwich I've ever had.
Utz chips, especially: The Crab Chip

I'll also list a few for the Seattle area, where I lived just before here, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up.
The UP- The fish everyone else uses for bait: Perch fish fries and smoked smelt
Fresh wild blueberries
Maple syrup
Fudge

Seattle:
Spam, Rice & Eggs (More famous in Hawaii, and you won't see it in many restaurants, but there's such a big Polynesian population, it's hard to make friends and not see this one.)
Pho (oh how I miss pho!) (on every corner)
Teriyaki (also on every corner)
Strawberry Lemonade
Sushi-so fresh!
Kidd Valley Garlic Fries & Shakes (best eaten at Safeco Field, watching Ichiro whiz around the bases, of course)
Korean food
Thai food (I dream about pad thai and panang curry)
Johnny's Seasoning
I don't drink personally, but the Pacific NW is also packed with local breweries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom