Local specialty dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
What are some of the local favorites in your area.
I know most of you are not from California.

I am near the SF bay are and I would say these are pretty popular.What is popular or special to your area?

Breakfast:
breakfast burrito;eggs,bacon or sausage,cheese,potatoes.

Lunch:
Carne Asada (beef) or Al Pastor(spicy pork)tacos
Burrito if your really hungry.

Dinner:
Cioppino (seafood stew in tomatoe broth)
or
Santa maria BBQ;Tri-tip with salsa,ranch beans,salad
or
Sushi of any kind.

Washington DC is melting pot of ethnicities, I tend to gravitate towards the Middle Easter and Korean foods the most. Love those flavor profiles. . .there is also GREAT salvadorian food everywhere, I could live off of papusas, chcharon, and the tripe, YUM.

I know MD is known for crab/crabcakes, VA has great Ham and peanuts, and seafood.

Maine Lobster
New England Clam Chowder
Boston Baked Beans
New England Boiled Dinner
Boston Cream Pie
Parker House Rolls

Maine Lobster
New England Clam Chowder
Boston Baked Beans
New England Boiled Dinner
Boston Cream Pie
Parker House Rolls

Andy,
Do you get fiddlehead ferns where you are? My wifes family is from northern Maine and some in Mass. I have only had them a few times but they are great.

Washington DC is melting pot of ethnicities, I tend to gravitate towards the Middle Easter and Korean foods the most. Love those flavor profiles. . .there is also GREAT salvadorian food everywhere, I could live off of papusas, chcharon, and the tripe, YUM.

I know MD is known for crab/crabcakes, VA has great Ham and peanuts, and seafood.

I love Korean food but my local restaurant just closed.
I am going through Jap chae withdrawals.

I love Korean food but my local restaurant just closed.
I am going through Jap chae withdrawals.

They are seriously a dime a dozen in the Burbs. There are 7 I can think of in Annandale that are 24hours, and all are equally delicious, just a matter of price difference. They make for phenomenal late night munchies on the rare occasion I/we get out to the bars for the night.

For all practical purposes Texas is it's own culinary region. The flags of Spain, France, Mexico, and a couple of different Texas Republic flags have all flown over what is now known as Texas. Bringing with them influence of different cultures.

Texas is big country and Beef is king. BBQ, smoked low and slow is sure to find a place at the top of the list. Tex-Mex cooking including Fajitas, chili con carne, many others have roots here. The gulf coast and deep southeast Texas also have a heavy Cajun influence bringing jambalaya, gumbos, and dirty rice to the party. We can't forget ranches, chuck wagons, and cattle drives bringing us chicken fried steaks, King Ranch Chicken, and many dutch oven specialties like cobblers and breads often cooked with coals from the camp fire.

Is my inner Texan showing again? Oops...just can't help it.

I'm a Yankee living in the Old South (VA). One thing that I had never had until I moved here is Brunswick stew. It is a favorite of ours now and I make a big batch at least twice a year.

I know it sounds kind of simple, but whenever I get to Florida, I always try to get a grouper sandwich. We just don't get those in Maryland.

Charleston, SC - Low Country Cuisine
Shrimp and Grits
Fried Green Tomatoes
Frogmore Stew
She Crab soup

Well, the original McDonald's opened in San bernardino, about 50 miles from L.A., guess it's no longer a local specialty!
then of course there is the eponymous "California Cuisine", with Helen Evans Brown acknowledged as its 'creator' by those who know with her West Coast Cook book, published in 1952, and not by Alice waters, who "borrowed" liberally from it without crediting Ms. Brown.
The french dip sandwich originated at eithr Philippe's or Cole's, depending on whose supporter you ask.
And the California roll, available at most sushi joints.

4me, I'm a little more than half way down the California coast, near Santa Barbara, and our regional dishes are much like yours with maybe more of a Mexican influence, being closer to the border.

For you, and us, there's just nothing better than a typical Santa Maria Barbecue . Tri Tip with homemade Pica de Gallo rules!
check this out.......
http://www.gadling.com/2010/08/18/a-taste-of-california-history-santa-maria-style-barbecue/

Thanks for starting this thread.......so interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom