"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Cook

Longest lasting deep frying shortening

I am helping a friend with a small restaurant start up. In your opinion which would last the longest: vegetable shortening or lard ? It will be used for French fries only, and will be kept at a temp of 350 degrees F. I know the smoking point for vegetable shortening is 360 F. and lard smoking point is 370 F but which would last the longest and give the best value ?
Thank you

Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I do not know what is best on a commercial scale, but I only use peanut oil in my deep fryer. I like how it performs, even at 375F degrees. However, peanut oil isn't cheap.

Good cooking oil can be strained and re-used up to a point. French fries should not dirty the oil much, anyway.

CD

Old 11-14-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Lard might impart more flavor, seeing as how fast food restaurants are trying to use a less unhealthy frying medium. Were the fries any tastier back then? I sort of forget, my taste buds do too.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
Cook

yes, in my opinion French fries were much better tasting back in the 60's. I know that McDonalds used beef lard, but now days they have invented a vegetable oil/shortening with a slight beef flavor, but without the beef fat.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Master Chef

They are probably both the same in terms of duration..it depends on how busy you are and how many fries you make, really..canola is probably easier to work with as it makes clean up quicker..up here it is also cheaper to buy...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Lard is a paste. Oil pours out of plastic jugs.

Go ahead maybe...advertise as being old time heart clogging lard fried french fries.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Cook

in Mexico, it does not really matter about heart clogging lard. They use that stuff to make dozens of daily dishes. I, personally, use canola oil and only use Crisco shortening for my pie crusts and southern biscuits. but I don't consume it on a daily basis.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I have been buying the large container at Costco of the soybean oil. I buy it because of price first, as I deep fry a lot.
It works very well and I get several frying from one pour.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have been buying the large container at Costco of the soybean oil. I buy it because of price first, as I deep fry a lot.
It works very well and I get several frying from one pour.
Roll_Bones: Only several frying /pour ? My goodness, that seems like an awfully expensive way to fry.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Roll_Bones: Only several frying /pour ? My goodness, that seems like an awfully expensive way to fry.
It all depends on what you fry. If you fry a lot of breaded foods, your oil will be dirty pretty quickly, and will have to be filtered or changed.

No to mention what frying fish does to your oil.

CD