Longevity of mashed potato and dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Yesterday I mashed a whole load of potatoes, intending to make potato cakes that day and today. I actually ended up with some left-over dough (containing mashed potato, flour and a beaten egg and some baking powder). Over night, the dough has turned somewhat green (but only on the outside) while the mashed potato appears as it did yesterday. What is the longevity of these things?

I cooked the dough anyway, and ate it and it was yummy, so in 24 hours I'll have more information regarding the short-term safety but what's your experience?

All it did was oxidize. To prevent that in the future wrap your dough in plastic wrap so NO air gets to it at all.

If you open the wrap and your mixture smells - it's too late! :chef:

I suppose I ought to have put it in the fridge as well? The mashed potato isn't in the fridge either... I don't know what I can/can't get away with. How long will the mashed potato keep?

So, you are saying you left that mixture out of the refrigerator with an egg in it? :ohmy:

Rule of thumb - put stuff in the refrigerator!!!! :LOL:

In the refrigerator I'd say this mixture should last a few days.

good air tight containers and a good fridge (below 40* but not freezing...about 36-37 is ideal) will keep food for many days. Refridgerate foods below 40* to prevent bacteria from growing. (Tomatoes are the exception...but that does not mean sauce or pizza or other items)

Back
Top Bottom