"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Looking for a beautiful short film from the seventies about 'immigrant' food?

What a lovely lovely short film. Anyone who loves food and understands how it has shaped our country will love this film. Enjoy.Hold the Ketchup by Albert Kish - NFB

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

thank you, puffin, for finding and sharing this outstanding film with us. it breathes life into various aspects of the food experience of 'the immigrant'. you don't have to be canadian to appreciate and relate to the foods and scenes portrayed in this authentically flavored film. watching it made me both hungry and nostalgic for real food and old times, family traditions.
this film reminds me of a film made by jeffrey smith, the frugal gourmet, also from sometime in the 1970s. i only remember that the title had the word 'immigrants' in it. it covered foods from countries from all over the world, including my own, latvia,--in which segment he demonstrated making latvian pirogies.:)

Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I think there was a time when the emphasis was on assimilation into the mainsteam culture, as a way to fit in and feel more accepted. Now, I think that is not as important as is maintaining one's cultural heritage and sharing it witihin their own community, and the greater community as well.

The film focuses on home cooking pretty much. I would like to point out that besides restaurants or specialty food markets, one can find many cultural and heritage food events by looking in your local paper's community calendar, church bulletins, park board festivals and more, >> most of which are on-line as well.

Thanks for sharing this film.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That was pretty cool .. thanks for sharing !
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I think there was a time when the emphasis was on assimilation into the mainsteam culture, as a way to fit in and feel more accepted. Now, I think that is not as important as is maintaining one's cultural heritage and sharing it witihin their own community, and the greater community as well.

The film focuses on home cooking pretty much. I would like to point out that besides restaurants or specialty food markets, one can find many cultural and heritage food events by looking in your local paper's community calendar, church bulletins, park board festivals and more, >> most of which are on-line as well.

Thanks for sharing this film.
Yeah remember when the phrase "America the melting pot" was popular? America never did become a "melting pot". Instead it was always and remains a "mosaic" of disparate cultures who, for the most part, want it that way. I don't have a problem with that.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks. Brings back memories from when I lived in Toronto in the early 80's. The first market in the film was probably the St. Lawrence market which still there today. My son goes regularly and loves it. I used to scour the city for cheap and hearty eats. The Hungarian restaurants were known to have the largest portions. We could eat there once and take enough home for another meal or two. I lived on the edge of the Italian section. That is where I met my first wife and spent a few years in the heart of Little Italy, and eventually moved to Italy for a few years, after her parents moved back in 85. That's where I started to cook in a real commercial kitchen. It had a major impact on my diet and cooking that I still adhere to this day...
That chapter was a time of many food firsts in my life.
Nice film. Brings back memories of Canada too. lol

Tags
food