"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 874
Looking for a spice mixture

I looked through all of the forums and didn't really find the right place to put this.

I am looking for a spice mixture. It's not for meats.

When dh and I lived in Munich, Germany, we ate at this Greek restaurant every couple of weeks and they would coat their pita in olive oil, then sprinkle on this spice mixture before grilling it.

The spice mixtures I find when I google it are all for meats. I'm not convinced it's really Greek, so I didn't put it in the ethnic section. Maybe it is, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am looking for/ had this before?

__________________

__________________
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,363
I don't see why a spice mix used on meats couldn't also be used with olive oil on bread.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't see why a spice mix used on meats couldn't also be used with olive oil on bread.
Well, good point. They just sounded so robust and this was a very delicate flavor.

I'll take your advice and look around on the internet again. Thanks!
__________________
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Jeff G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,352
Lots of recipes out there. I did find a commercial product that sounds very tasty!!

Greek Seasoning (Spice of the month, order any 4 FREE SHIPPING)

I haven't tried it, just thought the ingredients sounded right...
__________________
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I looked through all of the forums and didn't really find the right place to put this.

I am looking for a spice mixture. It's not for meats.

When dh and I lived in Munich, Germany, we ate at this Greek restaurant every couple of weeks and they would coat their pita in olive oil, then sprinkle on this spice mixture before grilling it.

The spice mixtures I find when I google it are all for meats. I'm not convinced it's really Greek, so I didn't put it in the ethnic section. Maybe it is, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am looking for/ had this before?
I Googled "Recipes for Greek Spice Mixture" and came up with dozens of them. They're pretty much all the same so the chances are good you will hit the right one. Almost all of them contain nutmeg and I know a lot of people don't like this spice. I would NOT advise leaving out the nutmeg, it makes all the difference in the world and you really can't taste it.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I Googled "Recipes for Greek Spice Mixture" and came up with dozens of them. They're pretty much all the same so the chances are good you will hit the right one. Almost all of them contain nutmeg and I know a lot of people don't like this spice. I would NOT advise leaving out the nutmeg, it makes all the difference in the world and you really can't taste it.
That's what I googled and the recipes are far too strong for the flavor that was on these pitas.

I guess I'll have to ask them the next time we're there... probably over Christmas.
__________________
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pdswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 20,308
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I use.. garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and a little onion salt mixed in olive oil.

If I have the time I saute onion and fresh garlic in olive oil to flavor the oil.
Remove the onion and garlic
and brush the pita with the flavored oil. Then spinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Then place the pita in a non-stick pan and heat just uniil bread starts to turn a beautiful
brown, flip and do the same on the other side.
__________________
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
I use.. garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and a little onion salt mixed in olive oil.

If I have the time I saute onion and fresh garlic in olive oil to flavor the oil.
Remove the onion and garlic
and brush the pita with the flavored oil. Then spinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Then place the pita in a non-stick pan and heat just uniil bread starts to turn a beautiful
brown, flip and do the same on the other side.
This sounds like it is it. Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a try this week!
__________________
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
SixSix210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Posts: 421
Some traditional Spices used in greek cooking.

Anise, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, curry, ginger, chile peppers, mahlab, mustard, nutmeg saffron, sumac, and vanilla.

I reccommend tasting these spices and trying to figure it out from there as far as the ratios go. When I mix my spice mixes, I always start by filling up one of the tall spice containers about 1/4 full with kosher salt, then add appropriate ingredients in the appropriate ratios. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Cookies = Love
SixSix210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.