Looking for Argentine Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
I have a craving for argentine beef and can not find a source for it. Does anyone have a mail order source.

why doesn't the u.s. import raw beef from argentina? is it an f.d.a thing/farming practices, or political stuff, or both?

why doesn't the u.s. import raw beef from argentina? is it an f.d.a thing/farming practices, or political stuff, or both?

It may have to do with mad cow. Imports are banned from a number of countries that have that issue.

I here that Uruguayan meat is as good as Argentinian, the only thing they can only import meat, not the bones.

I here that Uruguayan meat is as good as Argentinian, the only thing they can only import meat, not the bones.

When I was in Chile I could get both (plus Chiliean) I preferred the Argentinian. But I also never had the high end Uruguayan. I did like the beef from Chile and I have found a source for it.

According to Wiki, Argentina instituted a ban on exporting beef to other countries to keep local prices low during their currency crisis.

2006 Argentine restriction of beef exports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also the possibility that Argentine beef does not meet USDA standards, which may be due to a lack of inspection or other requirements. I know that some hams, particularly Proscuitto, but also Serrano, was not imported for the same reasons. Fiorucci set up a plant a few miles from my home to produce processed pork products for the US market.

Uruguayan grass fed meat is exelent. Of course all i can compare to is American corn fed, so it may not say a lot.

Well, regardless, beef served at some of the Argentinian restaurants around here are wonderful.
We frequently buy beef and chorizos from a local Argentinian meat market but never gave thought to where the meat actually came from.

Back
Top Bottom