Looking for freezer recipes for new mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth

Cook
One of my closest friends is due to give birth to her first baby (a boy) in about a week :clap: .

I've heard that new parents often don't have time to cook and end up ordering alot of take-out. I'd really like to help them out and cook a bunch of dishes to give to them to put in the freezer so that they can eat healthy, home cooked meals once the baby comes.

I'm especially interested in recipes that are quick and easy to heat up and are healthy and nutritious for a new (and breastfeeding) mother.

Can anyone recommend any recipes for me?

(Btw, this is the first time I've posted in about 6 months, and I have to say I like the new look! :) )

Hi Ruth--glad to see you back!

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest lasagna or baked ziti, chili, soups and stews. Take a look in the casserole forum, too. I'm sure there are some good ideas. If I come up with some more specifics, I'll be sure to post.

Welcome back Ruth :)
PAB hit on all the usual great suggestions. One more I would suggest is chicken pot pies. When my wife gave birth a few months ago once of my friends brought over a chicken pot pie (store bought), a big bag of frozen veggies, and a tube of Pillsbury rolls. It was so thoughtful and kind. We put it all in the freezer and had it when we were too busy with the baby to cook or go to the store.

Another suggestion which is not quite along the lines of what you are asking, but still good info...When my brother came to visit us in the hospital the day my wife had our daughter her came with two shopping bags full of goodies. He brought us a ton of fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), nuts, dried cranberries, carrots, chips and salsa, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It was a small gesture that meant the world to us. Your friend (and if she has a sig other) will be in the hospital for a few days and will not have access to lots of different food options. I know for me it was great to wake up and be able to just reach over and have a banana in the morning or have a little snack in the afternoon without having to go downstairs and leave my wife and baby. it was also great because when friends and family came to visit they could have a little something to snack on if they wanted.

This is one of my favorite soups and it is healthy. This is a perfect comfort food for me and it freezes well. It does take some time to cook, but it is the kind you leave on the stove and it does the cooking itself and your house will smell great.

Cheryl's vegetable soup

3 quarts water (12 cups)
soup meat, uncooked ( any amount you want, I use 2 packages)
2 packages (1 box) original dry lipton onion soup mix
1 lb. can tomato sauce
1 lb. can tomatoes, cut up (I like petite diced)
1 1/2 t. dry marjoram
1 1/2 t. dry basil
1 1/2 t. pepper
1 t. garlic powder
1 T. salt
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 t. parsley flakes
2 large bags vegetables

my addition to the soup is some potatoes cut into cubes and peeled andAmerican cheese slices

Boil meat (I use a low boil) in water and onion soup mix for 25 minutes.

Add next 9 ingredients and cook 15 minutes

Add frozen vegetables (potatoes) and let cook covered on low for 2-2 1/2 hours.

Serve in bowl with cheese or parmesan cheese.

Freezes well

In addition to what PA Baker suggested - Enchiladas are great (chicken or beef but without the beans). It freezes well and can be reheated in the oven.

Other casseroles using rice, chicken, veggies (I would avoid broccoli, eggplant or other vegetables that are considered gas causing) and cheese are great as well.

If your friends like ethnic food you can make some coconut based curries. They don't necessarily have to be spicy. They can be made with chicken and other spices and they freeze quite well. All they would have to do is put a pot of rice and have a healthy meal.

I also make patties out of mashed potato, stir in shredded chicken, veggies and other herbs and seasonings. Make small balls, dredge in bread crumbs and egg wash and then fry them and let them cool completely. Then I freeze them. They can be reheated easily in a little toaster oven or even warmed in a microwave.

Quick breads would be nice as well (banana, orange cranberry, zucchini with nuts) so that the mom can grab a snack that has some fruit and nuts in the bread which are good for the body. They freeze well too and she can easily reheat them in the oven.

BTW - It's really nice of you to think about your friends. I remember when I had my first son I was pretty much on my own and since my son was suffering from asthma I was extremely sleep deprived. Most of the time my husband would scramble to put something together because I was just too exhausted and cooking is not his fortae so we ended up eating out a lot which is also rather difficult with a newborn.

This is another good freezer food. It is good served on buns as barbecue or as main dish. Flavor will improve over time.

Easy Brisket

1 3 to 4 pound beef brisket
2 T. liquid BBQ smoke
1 t. garlic salt or 1 clove garlic minced
1 t. dry onion or 2 T. fresh onion chopped
2 t. celery seed
2 t. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. seasoned pepper
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup catsup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup BBQ sauce

Place all ingredients, except BBQ sauce into a jar and shake well to mix. Pour over meat, cover, and marinate overnight. Drain. Bake covered at 300 for 4-5 hours. Drain off most of the fat; add BBQ sauce and cook 1 more hour.

I like to place brisket in small individual bags and then stick in freezer. Then all you have to do is take out 1 bag and it is the perfect size to make a small sandwich out of.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help so far! You guys are really terrific! I remember why I loved this forum so much back when I had time to cook more often. :) Hopefully when my life settles back to normal in a couple of months I'll be able to contribute more myself and go back to being a regular. I really missed you guys!

I'm definately going to try a number of these recipes! I also like the idea of bringing the bags of food to the hospital. Another friend of mine just suggested that I bring a batch or two of homemade cookies to hospital and instruct the happy couple to leave it out in their room. This way the nurses stop by to "check" on them much more often! :LOL:

I've also given a quick look at the Casserole section and found a few great ideas there as well. I really like the Gringo Tacos Casserole. But how do I know if a particular casserole recipe will freeze well?

Hiya Ruth and welcome back. I've always taken a couple of Big Macs and bags of fries to my new mom friends while they are still in the hospital. They have never said "No, thanks."

A meatloaf would freeze well. It doesn't exactly fall under the healthy category :neutral:

Basic chicken casserole with the Pepperidge Farm stuffing topping.

Manicotti or stuffed shells.

For my sisters I took a big basket and made up my personal red sauce (hey we all have our own recipe, don't we?), which I put in tupperware or other freeze-able containers. Then, in the basket, I put different kinds of pasta, some grated parm, loaf of bread, etc ... all the trimmings for several Italian meals.

Although I'm not sending specific recipes, most of the following meals freeze well:

Curries
Home made soups that DO NOT have pasta in them
Stews
Savory pies (quiche, tourtiere). Cut into wedges before freezing so they can nuke individual servings.
Chili -- don't forget green chili, vegetarian chili, bean chili, Cincinatti chili. There are many versions, all are good and different.
Meat loaf -- slice before freezing, so that a slice can be nuked for a sandwich

Not really a recipe but here is some advise I was given that really worked out when my daughter was new born.

Do not be quiet. Let your baby get used to noise, and they will. My daughter would sleep through anything. Nothing worse than having to tip toe around the house when you may only have a few hours to yourself.

Frozen Bagels: For teething, because they are not teething they are serious (joke). This was a little messy but she never complained. The cold bagel felt good on her gums and she could never chew off enough to be of any concern.

Never teach them to walk. They will tear up all your stuff - just kidding.

The noise and bagel advise was noticeably working when we where hanging out with other new parents and how surprised they where to not have to be quiet when she was napping.

Also buy a food processor, make your own baby food. No need for preservatives in your baby. You will only get out of your kid what you put in them. Besides leading by example and a lot of love and attention these simple suggestions helped me.

I remember making spinach lasagna, manicotti, soups or stews and freezing it in single servings as well to aid in acquiring more quality time. I could dig up some recipes if you are interested.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Ruth, welcome back! The fresh fruit idea is very welcome, also the dried fruit thing. Buy the big bag of trail mix at Costco/Sam's Club. New moms need that stuff!

I would recommend lots of muffins or little loaves of things for quick nutritious breakfasts or easy grab snacks during the day.

The other thing that I really loved when I was a brand new mom was a ham dinner that my Mom delivered. She brought over scalloped potatoes and a whole ham. THAT went a long way. You can use a ham in so many ways. It was by far the most helpful thing going.

I would also like to echo the buttering up the nurses idea. We always took a tin of cookies/chocolate to the nurses station and thanked them for their wonderful care of _____.

This is such a wonderful idea! I would go with casseroles, stews and pasta sauces - all freeze well, and you can add boxes of rice, pasta and cous-cous to complete the gift. You can make most dishes more healthy by increasing the amount and variety of veggies in them, and choosing good quality, lean meat. Use lower-fat versions of dairy products, add some pulses (like lentils, beans) for extra fibre & protein. As a new Mum, she will need lots of protein to allow her body to heal quickly and for forming breastmilk. She will also need to increase her fibre intake.

I agree totally with Bryan's advice about making lots of noise - I could (and still can) vacuum around my daughter's beds without waking them up because I got them used to noise when they were babies! It can backfire though - my sister-in-law took my advice and when her daughter was a baby, she couldn't actually get to sleep unless the vacuum was running, my SiL burnt out 3 vacuums by the time she was 2....:rolleyes:

Another really useful bit of advice is for her to treat night-time as night-time right from day 1....that means that when baby wakes for a night-feed, she doesn't switch the light on, doesn't talk much to baby, doesn't play with the baby - just gets on and feeds, quick & boring as possible, then back down to sleep. When baby want's feeding during the day, then that's the time to play etc., by using this method, both mine were sleeping through by 8 weeks. They soon get the idea that night-time is 'different'.

I would suggest that she buy a pressure cooker to make her own baby foods - you can pop in chopped veggies and some meat & make wonderful nutritious casseroles quickly (the pressure cooking helps 'seal' in both flavour and nutrients, as well as destroying bacteria effectively, so the food keeps well). For convenience, she can use salt-free frozen veggies, which are just as nutritious as fresh (actually, even more so, as 'fresh' veggies often are not that fresh by the time they get to the store...). She can make it in bulk, puree it in a blender and freeze small portions. She shouldn't add salt, or salty stocks as it's not good for baby, but she can use herbs.

Best wishes, Paint.

Last edited:
Welcome back Ruth!

For a "recipe" ... just think of anything that is nutritional. I do differ from the new thinking at the La Leche League .... I would suggest going easy on "spicy" food for the first 3-months and then work them in gradually ... unless you enjoy spending all night up with a colicky baby.

Yep - did notice you said she would be breastfeeding ...

Cracked up a bknox comments. A few friends have given birth in the past year, and I keep my mouth shut because I don't have kids. But occaisionally something comes out that cracks me up. I didn't have kids because I had younger sibs and -- love them dearly -- I knew what work it was. Decided to be lazy and skip kids. When a young friend had her baby, she was like me -- the eldest who spent a lot of time diapering, etc. When her husband (inexperienced with babies) was pushing and wishing for their baby to walk and talk, she replied, "hey, enjoy this stage while you have it!! Once she can walk, you have no idea what trouble she'll be able to get into." I don't mean to imply that you should hold your baby back, just enjoy what you have while you've got it!

lots of soups freeze well. meat loaf does, but freeze it in portions so it all doesn't have to be defrosted at once. baked beans freese well with or without hotdogs or sausage.

spaghetti sause in 2 or 3 cup portions is quick and easy. etc

These are some of my families favorite one-dish meals. I also think of a pot homemade chicken noodle soup for lunches, and a breakfast casserole of some sort, both divided into small portions.
When I was breast-feeding, we were given strict dietary limitations, like no garlic or onions, as they supposedly made the milk "taste bad", but my daughter was allowed to eat whatever she wanted, and she didn't have any problems at all.

Sausage and noodles

This is one of the meals my kids grew up on. I have made adjustments to pare down the calories, but it's still just as good...and still cheap to make. It's a huge recipe, because I usually freeze some in a ziplock, and send my daughter and her family a bowl. You can easily cut it in half.

2 lb. bulk pork sausage (or turkey sausage)
1 lb wide egg noodles
2 cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup+ milk called for on can
1 can mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (opt)
salt & pepper to taste, easy on the salt
1/2 lb Velveeta Lite cheese cut into 1/4" slices
paprika

Cook meat till done in skillet or micro-wave. Cook the noodles in boiling water to al dente. (do not overcook, as they will continue to cook in mixture.)
Drain cooked meat in colander. Pour pasta and mushrooms over the top and drain well...I think doing it this way helps wash off part of the greaase.
Dump into large bowl and mix with soups and seasonings. Spread out into baking dish, cover generously with sliced Velveeta, sprinkle with paprika, and bake, covered, in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or more as needed. When hot and bubbly, take off the cover and let the top brown a few minutes.

I usually serve this with braised broccoli, then mix it all together the next night. You can cook the broccoli in with the pasta, and do it that way from the start.

Texas More
Another thrifty and family friendly recipe...
And another huge batch for sharing and freezing.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lb ground chuck (could be half Italian Sausage)
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 can whole kernal corn
1 can mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes + Juice
2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce (save your homemade for something more elegant)
1 tsp granulated garlic, (jarred or fresh is great...to your taste)
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, sliced 1/4" thick

Directions"
Crumble meat and cook in skillet or microwave until pink is gone.
In the meantime, cook pasta in boiling water till al dente.
Drain meat in colander, mashing with spoon to get out grease. Dump corn and mushroooms over the top, then drain the pasta on top of that.
Combine in large bowl (washtub?) and combine with remaining ingredients except cheese. Mixture should be juicey...add a small can of tomato sauce if needed.
Turn into sprayed casserole, top generously with cheese, and sprinkle with paprika. (sliced green or black olives are also good on top.)
Bake in oven, covered, at 350 until warm and bubbly. Remove cover to let brown a few minutes, then remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.

*Notes and variations*

Make it Mexican by deleting the mushrooms and adding a can of Bush's Chili Beans with juice. Add 1 tsp cumin and a substitue Rotel tomatoes for the plain ones.

Substitute any firm pasta for the elbows. Rotini and Penne are great like this.

C's Rice-a-Roni Casserole

In a large deep skillet, saute the rice vermicelli mix, replacing butter
with olive oil, until lightly browned. Add seasoning mix and liquid called
for. Add Add 1-1/2 to 2 cups cooked chicken, beef, turkey or pork. Let cook
according to directions until about half done. Add fresh, frozen or canned
vegetables, cover, and continue to cook until all is tender.

Examples:

chicken flavored Rice-a-roni
cooked chicken, chopped into bite size pieces
1 can mushrooms, drained (use liquid as part of water called for)
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
OR 1 cup frozen peas
chicken flavored Rice mix
cooked pork, chopped into bite size pieces
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 16 oz package frozen stir-fry vegetables
soy sauce to taste
Beef flavored Rice mix
cooked beef, sliced thin
1 can mushrooms, sliced
1 can green beans, drained
baby carrots

The combinations are only limited by your imagination. If you don't have any pre-cooked meat, quickly brown lightly seasoned boneless chicken breasts , cubed boneless pork loin, or thin sliced beef sirloin in a couple of tbls olive oil before you add the rice/vermicelli mixture. It will finish cooking and get very tender by the time rice is done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom