Looking for Good Quality Olive Oil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I ever meant to say that I care about "what Europeans think of what" we eat. I was talking about quality of oil.

That was just a joke. My point is that you can buy high-quality olive oil in the United States, but you will not find it in supermarkets or club stores.

We actually have a store called " The Crushed Olive"

The Crushed Olive - Gourmet Olive Oils, Infused Flavored Olive Oil & Specialty Balsamic Vinegars

Infused olive oils and vinegars. They even have occasional cooking classes as well.

I havent been there in a bit
Do they sell the oil "loose" (bring your own bottle)? If so ask to taste a few and buy the one YOU like best.

Incidentally, if you use olive oil for cooking as well as dressing and you fry or saute stuff, it's worth having a cheaper, ordinary OO for cooking and EVOO for "cold" use in salad dressings, etc. Heat destroys a lot of the taste and benefits of EVOO.

Do they sell the oil "loose" (bring your own bottle)? If so ask to taste a few and buy the one YOU like best.

Incidentally, if you use olive oil for cooking as well as dressing and you fry or saute stuff, it's worth having a cheaper, ordinary OO for cooking and EVOO for "cold" use in salad dressings, etc. Heat destroys a lot of the taste and benefits of EVOO.

From the home page:

Stop by one of our stores for an unforgettable experience.* We feature an open tasting and invite you to sample and really taste the difference quality makes.* Once a selection is made, we fill-cork-and seal each bottle to ensure freshness.

The specialty stores in my area, and the ones I visited near Chicago and in California, dispense your chosen oils and vinegars into their bottles from casks. After the first purchase, you can bring back the cleaned bottle and they will refill it for $1 off, with the same or a different selection.

Last edited:
From the home page:

The specialty stores in my area, and the ones I visited near Chicago and in California, dispense your chosen oils and vinegars into their bottles from casks. After the first purchase, you can bring back the cleaned bottle and they will refill it for $1 off, with the same or a different selection.

After your post concerning the shops in Norfolk and Va Beach, I did a little research on my own, and there are two similar in the Richmond area. According to the proprietor, they are part of a loosely affiliated group of around 400 nationwide. A large variety of oils and vinegars at one price. Dispensed from SS kegs. Samplers welcome. I picked up a couple of bottles. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom