"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Little wonder the local store went belly-up, PF.
Smarty pants!

I guess I didn't go in often enough. Never failed to spend $110-150 every three months.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sorry, hit the wrong button before I attached this to my last post.
GG, where is that store?

I live in Richmond, but I have not found anything similar here.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
GG, where is that store?

I live in Richmond, but I have not found anything similar here.
It's in Ghent in Norfolk. The original is at Hilltop in Virginia Beach.

http://www.savortheolive.com
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
but you should know that if it isn't greenish, is not the real thing.

This is absolutely not true.

Extra virgin olive oil comes in many hues. Some of them yellow.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I would not be taking advice from someone with that kind of attitude.
Not actually any advice given. He stated these things and I just happened to be watching.
Its the guy from I think "Cooks" magazine. Its on PBS. Balding gentlemen and they do recipe testing. We have discussed this publication before.
The non-glossy magazine with the nice pictures on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Another fan of costcos EVOO. We've actually done some taste comparisons at my house and it fares pretty well. I can also recommend their balsamic vinegar ;)
I must admit my taste buds are not as good as they were in the past.
I will also admit if you were to replace my olive oil, I might not even notice the difference. I do not have a very good working knowledge of olive oils.
But I am learning.
I buy the Kirkland Extra Virgin in the 2 liter bottle. It says imported from Italy, first pressed. Its well under $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
Basically there are two types of olive oils, one for cooking and one for eating it raw, like in salads. The first one is called simply "Olive Oil", it has a yellow color. The second one is called "Extra Virgen" olive oil and is greenish, the greener the better. Both oils come from crushing olives, but the extra virgin comes from the first pressing and is the finest and therefore more expensive. The extra virgen is supposed to be eaten raw, to experience its flavor and bouquet. Of course, you can cook with it too, but heat will destroy the flavor and the bouquet and will do exactly what simple olive oil not extra virgen can do, without the extra expense. Olive oil lovers, speak of extra virgen oil only. Like, wine, coffee, tea and whiskey, there are many varieties and each has different characteristics which appeal to different people. Some prefer oil that comes from a particular single variety of olives and therefore is higher in cost. Extra virgen oil from a blend of many varieties is less expensive. The only way to find out what brand of extra virgen oil you like, is by trial and error, if it is for cooking, any olive oil type will do.
I guess i should buy some for cooking and some for eating raw. I use the Kirkland for both now.
I could be making a vinaigrette or sauteing vegetables and i use the same oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I have always wonder about that. I am always holding the bottle up to the light in the store to see how green it is.
But like addressed before, you cannot really tell what color it is until you pour some out.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Not actually any advice given. He stated these things and I just happened to be watching.
Its the guy from I think "Cooks" magazine. Its on PBS. Balding gentlemen and they do recipe testing. We have discussed this publication before.
The non-glossy magazine with the nice pictures on the back.
Christopher Kimball from Cooks Illustrated. I still don't think all Americans like the same olive oil. Do you and your friends like the same single beer?

Quote:
I buy the Kirkland Extra Virgin in the 2 liter bottle. It says imported from Italy, first pressed. Its well under $20.
Check the container to see if the oil was grown in Italy. Many Italian bottlers import oils from all over Europe and bottle it, then export it with that labeling. It doesn't mean the olives were grown or pressed in Italy

The specialty EVOO I buy for raw applications is $15-20 for 375 ml or about 12 ounces. Again, you're not going to find a high-quality olive oil at a supermarket, or a club store.

Quote:
I have always wonder about that. I am always holding the bottle up to the light in the store to see how green it is.
But like addressed before, you cannot really tell what color it is until you pour some out.
Seriously, is no one reading my posts?

I've been in four specialty olive oil stores around the country. They all offer free tastings so you can see, smell and taste a variety of oils from different olives, harvested at different points during the season and figure out which you like.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Check the container to see if the oil was grown in Italy. Many Italian bottlers import oils from all over Europe and bottle it, then export it with that labeling. It doesn't mean the olives were grown or pressed in Italy

The specialty EVOO I buy for raw applications is $15-20 for 375 ml or about 12 ounces. Again, you're not going to find a high-quality olive oil at a supermarket, or a club store. .

Very true. Most of the world's olive oil is produced in Spain.

Italy is a net importer of olive oil that it packages and sells. Spain produces twice as much olive oil as Italy does.

My favorite evoos are Spanish.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Totally agree.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #59
Master Chef

Out of curiosity, I just checked my bottle of EVOO from Trader Joe's , and it says "...olives are grown and harvested in Puglia, Sicily, and Calabria regions in Italy". I'm pretty sure it was around $15/qt. I don't cook with olive oil, I just use it in salad dressings, sprinkled over steamed veggies, or a dipping sauce with balsamic vinegar and crusty bread.

It works just fine for me, but I've never tried the 'really' good EVOO's. I'm not sure I could tell the difference, but it would be fun to try different tastings.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
I think that's based on outdated information, but I don't much care what Europeans think of what I eat

I don't think I ever meant to say that I care about "what Europeans think of what" we eat. I was talking about quality of oil.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tags
oil, olive oil