Looking for Good Quality Olive Oil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The colors of olive oils depend on which olive variety you're talking about.....

....and the color of the container that holds them ;)

I know that containers are colored to prevent light from prematurely breaking down flavors in the oil but it also makes it almost impossible to see the true color of the oil. Frustrating...

Basically first pressed olive oil (or extra virgin) will have a greenish tint. Ordinary olive oil for cooking is yellowish. Some times they try to sell you yellow olive oil as extra virgen, but you should know that if it isn't greenish, is not the real thing. Most bottled extra virgen olive oils are blends of different varieties of olives, even from different countries. Single variety extra virgen olive oil, is like single malt Scotch whisky, more expensive and has a smaller market.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Basically first pressed olive oil (or extra virgin) will have a greenish tint. Ordinary olive oil for cooking is yellowish. Some times they try to sell you yellow olive oil as extra virgen, but you should know that if it isn't greenish, is not the real thing. Most bottled extra virgen olive oils are blends of different varieties of olives, even from different countries. Single variety extra virgen olive oil, is like single malt Scotch whisky, more expensive and has a smaller market.

Welcome to DC, TAC! Sounds like you know your olive oil!

Since you asked for specific brands Larry, this is what I use. It has a mild earthy flavor I enjoy for both cooking and salads. Typical of Trader Joe's, it's high quality at an affordable price.

img_1405356_0_d39e148ad79a4026d6af0c9ee4fab141.jpg

I was at Trader Joe's today, and checked the price of this green olive oil.
It's $9.00 for a quart. :yum:

I spent some time with my friend Andrea Giovannini in Florence, Italy who is an expert in the cultivation of olives and manufacture of olive oil. In Italy nobody uses commercial bottled oil, they buy it directly from the plantation by the gallon. Most of the olive oil exported by Italy, is re-bottled Spanish olive oil. Excellent olive oil is being produced in Argentina, Chile and Peru. and of course in California.

I posted this thread five years ago of a bottle of oil I received from a farm in Tuscany a few days after the harvest. What I learned from that bottle is that nothing tastes anywhere near what can be purchased in a local market. Bright yellow and the freshest taste possible.

I currently use Costco vintage labelled which is IMO just below the point of diminishing returns on cost available here. Either the Tuscan or Arbequina from Spain. I have never seen both at the same time.

Perhaps someday I will find myself in California at harvest time and try a comparison tasting.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/story-of-evoo-68979.html

....and the color of the container that holds them ;)

I know that containers are colored to prevent light from prematurely breaking down flavors in the oil but it also makes it almost impossible to see the true color of the oil. Frustrating...

That's why I suggested going to a specialty store. You won't find high-quality extra-virgin olive oil in a supermarket anyway. In the store where I get the high-quality oils, they keep it in metal casks and pour out as many as you want to taste, so you can see and smell them, as well. See?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I would not be taking advice from someone with that kind of attitude.

Not actually any advice given. He stated these things and I just happened to be watching.
Its the guy from I think "Cooks" magazine. Its on PBS. Balding gentlemen and they do recipe testing. We have discussed this publication before.
The non-glossy magazine with the nice pictures on the back.

Another fan of costcos EVOO. We've actually done some taste comparisons at my house and it fares pretty well. I can also recommend their balsamic vinegar ;)

I must admit my taste buds are not as good as they were in the past.
I will also admit if you were to replace my olive oil, I might not even notice the difference. I do not have a very good working knowledge of olive oils.
But I am learning.
I buy the Kirkland Extra Virgin in the 2 liter bottle. It says imported from Italy, first pressed. Its well under $20.

Basically there are two types of olive oils, one for cooking and one for eating it raw, like in salads. The first one is called simply "Olive Oil", it has a yellow color. The second one is called "Extra Virgen" olive oil and is greenish, the greener the better. Both oils come from crushing olives, but the extra virgin comes from the first pressing and is the finest and therefore more expensive. The extra virgen is supposed to be eaten raw, to experience its flavor and bouquet. Of course, you can cook with it too, but heat will destroy the flavor and the bouquet and will do exactly what simple olive oil not extra virgen can do, without the extra expense. Olive oil lovers, speak of extra virgen oil only. Like, wine, coffee, tea and whiskey, there are many varieties and each has different characteristics which appeal to different people. Some prefer oil that comes from a particular single variety of olives and therefore is higher in cost. Extra virgen oil from a blend of many varieties is less expensive. The only way to find out what brand of extra virgen oil you like, is by trial and error, if it is for cooking, any olive oil type will do.

I guess i should buy some for cooking and some for eating raw. I use the Kirkland for both now.
I could be making a vinaigrette or sauteing vegetables and i use the same oil.

This is absolutely not true.
Extra virgin olive oil comes in many hues. Some of them yellow.

I have always wonder about that. I am always holding the bottle up to the light in the store to see how green it is.
But like addressed before, you cannot really tell what color it is until you pour some out.

Not actually any advice given. He stated these things and I just happened to be watching.
Its the guy from I think "Cooks" magazine. Its on PBS. Balding gentlemen and they do recipe testing. We have discussed this publication before.
The non-glossy magazine with the nice pictures on the back.

Christopher Kimball from Cooks Illustrated. I still don't think all Americans like the same olive oil. Do you and your friends like the same single beer?

I buy the Kirkland Extra Virgin in the 2 liter bottle. It says imported from Italy, first pressed. Its well under $20.

Check the container to see if the oil was grown in Italy. Many Italian bottlers import oils from all over Europe and bottle it, then export it with that labeling. It doesn't mean the olives were grown or pressed in Italy

The specialty EVOO I buy for raw applications is $15-20 for 375 ml or about 12 ounces. Again, you're not going to find a high-quality olive oil at a supermarket, or a club store.

I have always wonder about that. I am always holding the bottle up to the light in the store to see how green it is.
But like addressed before, you cannot really tell what color it is until you pour some out.

Seriously, is no one reading my posts? :rolleyes:

I've been in four specialty olive oil stores around the country. They all offer free tastings so you can see, smell and taste a variety of oils from different olives, harvested at different points during the season and figure out which you like.

Last edited:
Check the container to see if the oil was grown in Italy. Many Italian bottlers import oils from all over Europe and bottle it, then export it with that labeling. It doesn't mean the olives were grown or pressed in Italy

The specialty EVOO I buy for raw applications is $15-20 for 375 ml or about 12 ounces. Again, you're not going to find a high-quality olive oil at a supermarket, or a club store. .

Very true. Most of the world's olive oil is produced in Spain.

Italy is a net importer of olive oil that it packages and sells. Spain produces twice as much olive oil as Italy does.

My favorite evoos are Spanish.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my bottle of EVOO from Trader Joe's :), and it says "...olives are grown and harvested in Puglia, Sicily, and Calabria regions in Italy". I'm pretty sure it was around $15/qt. I don't cook with olive oil, I just use it in salad dressings, sprinkled over steamed veggies, or a dipping sauce with balsamic vinegar and crusty bread.

It works just fine for me, but I've never tried the 'really' good EVOO's. I'm not sure I could tell the difference, but it would be fun to try different tastings. :yum:

I think that's based on outdated information, but I don't much care what Europeans think of what I eat ;)

I don't think I ever meant to say that I care about "what Europeans think of what" we eat. I was talking about quality of oil.

Back
Top Bottom