"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Head Chef

Looking for Good Quality Olive Oil.

Many of the food shows, cookbooks and even recipes online call for " Good Quality Olive Oil".

I've tried buying more expensive olive oil to see if it made a difference, and I found the brand that I bought to be very bitter ( I dont remember which brand it was cause this was a year ago). So, I went back to my less expensive choice, which is ok, but leaves me still curious about the good qualities olive oils.

I dont want to play the price game ( buying the more and more expensive options) unless I know Im getting what I pay for. I also know that higher price doesn't necessarily mean better quality.

So I guess what Im asking is what everyone else considersa good quality olive oil brand ( Looking for specific brand, not necessarily whether it is Extra Virgin or not)

larry

Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Are you looking for cooking oil or salad oil?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

Both, Just something that someone would consider higher quality. There are too many bottles on the shelf for me to experiment with.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I currently am using California Olive Ranch ( extra virgin) . It is very good for salad dressing and cooking. Sometimes I think it tastes a little more fruity? than other oils.

The bottle says it is non GMO which is probably why I bought it. Was available at a regular supermarket.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Olives and olive oils have as much variation as grapes and wines, including different flavors for different seasons. For general cooking, I use Bertolli because I prefer the lighter, grassy flavor to sharper, peppery oils.

For things like salad dressing, pesto and bread, I use a specialty oil from a local store that stocks excellent quality olive oil and balsamic vinegars. You can taste them in the store before buying, like wine, so you know you'll like it. It's not a brand, though. The owner imports the oils and bottles them at purchase in the store.

Larry, with all the traveling you do, you should be able to find a shop like this: http://www.savortheolive.com/norfolk-store/
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Larry, with all the traveling you do, you should be able to find a shop like this: Norfolk Store — Savor the Olive
We actually have a store called " The Crushed Olive"

The Crushed Olive - Gourmet Olive Oils, Infused Flavored Olive Oil & Specialty Balsamic Vinegars

Infused olive oils and vinegars. They even have occasional cooking classes as well.

I havent been there in a bit
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We get the cheap stuff from Costco or Trader Joe's from our yearly foray. Works fine for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

There's a good chance I may prefer the cheap stuff , I just want to do a comparison to see what ( if anything) I'm missing out on or if it would make any noticeable difference in whatever Im cooking.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've had the more expensive stuff, it tastes too sharp to me. I'll squeeze my own olives if I want more of an olive flavor

I got a great deal a couple years ago from Fratelli Carli. Their EVOO was mild flavored. As I recall, I got 6 bottles of EVOO, a ceramic decanter, a tea towel, and an apron, all for a great price, and free shipping.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
Master Chef

In my area some of the pricey olive oils in the import/gourmet stores have a thick film of dust on them.

I would start by trying the range of oils within one basic brand and decide what you like. A brand like Filippo Berio and many others offer half a dozen grades or styles of oil, gradually try them all and see what works best in your kitchen.

Explore Our Collection of Olive Oils | Filippo Berio

Right now I'm using CORA first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, imported and distributed by a local company. It is the oil Italian grandmas buy when it is on sale. I enjoy it in salads and in cooking or as a finish drizzled on a dish. It contains oils from Spain, Tunisia, Italy and Greece, basically whatever is available. They also offer an olive oil that is labeled extra virgin, fine for cooking and not very interesting in salads.

Tags
oil, olive oil