You could always cut this recipe in half or bring out a little at a time. SC
Savory Sausage Balls with Bourbon Glaze
1 pound pork sausage
1 pound ground pork
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup fine dry plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3/4 cup apple jelly
6 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/3 cup bourbon or apple juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, using hands (Tip: wear disposable vinyl gloves) thoroughly combine sausage, pork, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, milk, ginger, pepper, cayenne, mace and allspice.
3. Pat mixture evenly onto large piece of waxed paper, to a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut into 96 squares, round each square gently and place in shallow rimmed baking pans.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets and reserve.
5. Meanwhile, stir together jelly, mustard, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce in large nonstick skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly melts and mixture comes to a boil. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Lower heat and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes until sauce thickens a bit and meatballs are coated.
Makes 96 meatballs.
Make-ahead tip: Complete recipe and refrigerate, covered, in shallow container. Reheat in microwave, in single layer, covered with waxed paper, for 2 to 3 minutes at 100% power. Or reheat in covered skillet over low flame on stovetop until heated through. Remove to heated chafing dish to serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving ( 1 meatball)
Calories 40 calories
Protein 2 grams
Fat 2 grams
Sodium 90 milligrams
Cholesterol 5 milligrams
Saturated Fat 0 grams
Carbohydrates 2 grams
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, The Other White Meat.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)