"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Question Looking for old classic recipes

I am thinking of starting a book with all "Old Fashioned Classic Recipes",
I need everyones help on finding or posting any of their parents, Grandparents, Aunties,Great-Grandparents,or Friends and Neighbours,old classic recipes from Yesteryear, They must be all the old-fashioned recipes from the old days ( if I am allowed to say that) If not Im sorry, but I think you get it, I do not want any new ideas from today, no Gormet recipes please.
So if any one out there knows there Mums,or Grandma's old recipes from there own child hood,(what they ate as kids or what there parents cooked for them, if you dont mind and they dont mind, please forward them to me,either through here or P.M. me,that would be great,Thanks.
Even recipes from world war 2, anything will help, My parents arn't around anymore , nor are my grandparents, so I can only rely on this site and my friends for help. Not sure how long this will take,as I have never done this before, probably a few years,who knows, but I need ideas from all over the world,Australia,U.S.A., U.K., Asia,Germany, all over, so If you can help, PLEASE, that would be fantastic, A big Thanks to everyone if you can help,
I know back in the old days there wasn't much food or ingredients around, so we can only use what they could get and use, not what we have today, I know a lot of it will be fresh food and fruits and veggies that they use to grow themselves.
Also, I have a question myself about a couple of recipes that come from my mum, but I cant quite remember how she prepared them. The first one is to do with RUM BALLS, I know I have read them on this site before, but all of the recipes I read, I think had cake crumbs in them, I dont want that one, as my mum made them with "WeetBix and Vita Brits", this is an Australian Recipie, so maybe someone can help that has knowledge of this recipie, I know a few of the ingrediants, but not all. Also I want to find out if anyone
knows the recipie to "Apple Snow", another Aussie recipie, but it could be Scottish as my Grandma was Scottish, I know it had Egg Whites whipped up, like a merengue ( sorry, I know thats not how u spell it ), and also a tin of "Pie Apples" a tin of cooked apples made for Apple pie that we get in our supermarkets here in Australia.Im not sure what else goes in it apart from some sugar, and Im not sure if my mum baked it in the oven or just had it plain, all I know is that it was fluffy and melt in your mouth and VERY,VERY
YUMMY, I s'pose you could use any fruit in it that u like.
Thanks everyone, I want to use these recipes in the book.Sorry, also with the Rum Balls , my mum use to roll them in Coconut instead of chocolate sprinkles and I also think it had condenced milk in it, but please, "What else".

Old 05-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Cook

When I get home I'll dig up recipes for Golden Syrup Pudding, Neenish Tarts, and I'll try to wheedle some of nan's slice recipes out of her.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
It's been done. Check out the original 1896 Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School cookbook. This was the first cookbook to have precise measurements included. You can gt it at a decent price at Amazon.com, or someone has now made it available on the internet.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hiya, Spirit. Here in the States we (or at least I) usually make rum balls using vanilla wafers ground up - tis traditional.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thankyou guys, I will be writing all of your advice and help down, so I dont forget or lose them. But please "Keep them coming", I need heaps of ideas.
Thankyou once again.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
I am thinking of starting a book with all "Old Fashioned Classic Recipes",
I need everyones help on finding or posting any of their parents, Grandparents, Aunties,Great-Grandparents,or Friends and Neighbours,old classic recipes from Yesteryear, They must be all the old-fashioned recipes from the old days ( if I am allowed to say that) If not Im sorry, but I think you get it, I do not want any new ideas from today, no Gormet recipes please.
So if any one out there knows there Mums,or Grandma's old recipes from there own child hood,(what they ate as kids or what there parents cooked for them, if you dont mind and they dont mind, please forward them to me,either through here or P.M. me,that would be great,Thanks.
Even recipes from world war 2, anything will help, My parents arn't around anymore , nor are my grandparents, so I can only rely on this site and my friends for help. Not sure how long this will take,as I have never done this before, probably a few years,who knows, but I need ideas from all over the world,Australia,U.S.A., U.K., Asia,Germany, all over, so If you can help, PLEASE, that would be fantastic, A big Thanks to everyone if you can help,
I know back in the old days there wasn't much food or ingredients around, so we can only use what they could get and use, not what we have today, I know a lot of it will be fresh food and fruits and veggies that they use to grow themselves.
Also, I have a question myself about a couple of recipes that come from my mum, but I cant quite remember how she prepared them. The first one is to do with RUM BALLS, I know I have read them on this site before, but all of the recipes I read, I think had cake crumbs in them, I dont want that one, as my mum made them with "WeetBix and Vita Brits", this is an Australian Recipie, so maybe someone can help that has knowledge of this recipie, I know a few of the ingrediants, but not all. Also I want to find out if anyone
knows the recipie to "Apple Snow", another Aussie recipie, but it could be Scottish as my Grandma was Scottish, I know it had Egg Whites whipped up, like a merengue ( sorry, I know thats not how u spell it ), and also a tin of "Pie Apples" a tin of cooked apples made for Apple pie that we get in our supermarkets here in Australia.Im not sure what else goes in it apart from some sugar, and Im not sure if my mum baked it in the oven or just had it plain, all I know is that it was fluffy and melt in your mouth and VERY,VERY
YUMMY, I s'pose you could use any fruit in it that u like.
Thanks everyone, I want to use these recipes in the book.Sorry, also with the Rum Balls , my mum use to roll them in Coconut instead of chocolate sprinkles and I also think it had condenced milk in it, but please, "What else".
SpiritWolf - This might be a good resource for you:

Feeding America

Regards,

Casper
Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
It's been done. Check out the original 1896 Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School cookbook. This was the first cookbook to have precise measurements included. You can gt it at a decent price at Amazon.com, or someone has now made it available on the internet.
Yes, I've seen some old recipes that call for a peck of this and a bushel of that and a poke n dull. And their pots and pans and cooking methods were quite different in terminology too. I would have attempted to make the apple pie but I didn't have a deaver for the hearth or a grimmer for the pile. Etc.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Spiritwolf, I have a recipe you might want. It came from my adoptive mother, who whould've been 112 this last April. It's something she always made at Christmastime. She called it glass candy and we loved it.

I'll have to pull out the recipe and write it in "recipe" form because it's just a list of ingredients, temperatures and times in her hand on a scrap of paper right now. I never bothered to write it down because I helped her make it so many times I know it (almost) by heart.

Give me some time and I'll post it in the "candy" forum.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Head Chef

Do you want people to PM these recipes to you?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks everybody, for all your help so far, it is great to see people helping out here. Thanks Katie. E, I will be looking out for that recipie. Please everyone, put a P.M. on here if you want to, I think that might be easier, wont it??
Otherwise just do your reply, as long as I get them all, I dont care. Once I get what I need to start me off, on this book, I will let everybody know, but it will take a while.