Looking for old classic recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:chef:I am thinking of starting a book with all "Old Fashioned Classic Recipes",
I need everyones help on finding or posting any of their parents, Grandparents, Aunties,Great-Grandparents,or Friends and Neighbours,old classic recipes from Yesteryear, They must be all the old-fashioned recipes from the old days ( if I am allowed to say that) If not Im sorry, but I think you get it, I do not want any new ideas from today, no Gormet recipes please.
So if any one out there knows there Mums,or Grandma's old recipes from there own child hood,(what they ate as kids or what there parents cooked for them, if you dont mind and they dont mind, please forward them to me,either through here or P.M. me,that would be great,Thanks.
Even recipes from world war 2, anything will help, My parents arn't around anymore , nor are my grandparents, so I can only rely on this site and my friends for help. Not sure how long this will take,as I have never done this before, probably a few years,who knows, but I need ideas from all over the world,Australia,U.S.A., U.K., Asia,Germany, all over, so If you can help, PLEASE, that would be fantastic, A big Thanks to everyone if you can help,
I know back in the old days there wasn't much food or ingredients around, so we can only use what they could get and use, not what we have today, I know a lot of it will be fresh food and fruits and veggies that they use to grow themselves.
Also, I have a question myself about a couple of recipes that come from my mum, but I cant quite remember how she prepared them. The first one is to do with RUM BALLS, I know I have read them on this site before, but all of the recipes I read, I think had cake crumbs in them, I dont want that one, as my mum made them with "WeetBix and Vita Brits", this is an Australian Recipie, so maybe someone can help that has knowledge of this recipie, I know a few of the ingrediants, but not all. Also I want to find out if anyone
knows the recipie to "Apple Snow", another Aussie recipie, but it could be Scottish as my Grandma was Scottish, I know it had Egg Whites whipped up, like a merengue ( sorry, I know thats not how u spell it ), and also a tin of "Pie Apples" a tin of cooked apples made for Apple pie that we get in our supermarkets here in Australia.Im not sure what else goes in it apart from some sugar, and Im not sure if my mum baked it in the oven or just had it plain, all I know is that it was fluffy and melt in your mouth and VERY,VERY
YUMMY, I s'pose you could use any fruit in it that u like.
Thanks everyone, I want to use these recipes in the book.:)Sorry, also with the Rum Balls , my mum use to roll them in Coconut instead of chocolate sprinkles and I also think it had condenced milk in it, but please, "What else".

Last edited:
When I get home I'll dig up recipes for Golden Syrup Pudding, Neenish Tarts, and I'll try to wheedle some of nan's slice recipes out of her.

Thankyou guys, I will be writing all of your advice and help down, so I dont forget or lose them. But please "Keep them coming", I need heaps of ideas.
Thankyou once again.

SpiritWolf said:
:chef:I am thinking of starting a book with all "Old Fashioned Classic Recipes",
I need everyones help on finding or posting any of their parents, Grandparents, Aunties,Great-Grandparents,or Friends and Neighbours,old classic recipes from Yesteryear, They must be all the old-fashioned recipes from the old days ( if I am allowed to say that) If not Im sorry, but I think you get it, I do not want any new ideas from today, no Gormet recipes please.
So if any one out there knows there Mums,or Grandma's old recipes from there own child hood,(what they ate as kids or what there parents cooked for them, if you dont mind and they dont mind, please forward them to me,either through here or P.M. me,that would be great,Thanks.
Even recipes from world war 2, anything will help, My parents arn't around anymore , nor are my grandparents, so I can only rely on this site and my friends for help. Not sure how long this will take,as I have never done this before, probably a few years,who knows, but I need ideas from all over the world,Australia,U.S.A., U.K., Asia,Germany, all over, so If you can help, PLEASE, that would be fantastic, A big Thanks to everyone if you can help,
I know back in the old days there wasn't much food or ingredients around, so we can only use what they could get and use, not what we have today, I know a lot of it will be fresh food and fruits and veggies that they use to grow themselves.
Also, I have a question myself about a couple of recipes that come from my mum, but I cant quite remember how she prepared them. The first one is to do with RUM BALLS, I know I have read them on this site before, but all of the recipes I read, I think had cake crumbs in them, I dont want that one, as my mum made them with "WeetBix and Vita Brits", this is an Australian Recipie, so maybe someone can help that has knowledge of this recipie, I know a few of the ingrediants, but not all. Also I want to find out if anyone
knows the recipie to "Apple Snow", another Aussie recipie, but it could be Scottish as my Grandma was Scottish, I know it had Egg Whites whipped up, like a merengue ( sorry, I know thats not how u spell it ), and also a tin of "Pie Apples" a tin of cooked apples made for Apple pie that we get in our supermarkets here in Australia.Im not sure what else goes in it apart from some sugar, and Im not sure if my mum baked it in the oven or just had it plain, all I know is that it was fluffy and melt in your mouth and VERY,VERY
YUMMY, I s'pose you could use any fruit in it that u like.
Thanks everyone, I want to use these recipes in the book.:)Sorry, also with the Rum Balls , my mum use to roll them in Coconut instead of chocolate sprinkles and I also think it had condenced milk in it, but please, "What else".
SpiritWolf - This might be a good resource for you:

Feeding America

Regards,

Casper

Caine said:
It's been done. Check out the original 1896 Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School cookbook. This was the first cookbook to have precise measurements included. You can gt it at a decent price at Amazon.com, or someone has now made it available on the internet.

Yes, I've seen some old recipes that call for a peck of this and a bushel of that and a poke n dull. And their pots and pans and cooking methods were quite different in terminology too. I would have attempted to make the apple pie but I didn't have a deaver for the hearth or a grimmer for the pile. Etc.

Spiritwolf, I have a recipe you might want. It came from my adoptive mother, who whould've been 112 this last April. It's something she always made at Christmastime. She called it glass candy and we loved it.

I'll have to pull out the recipe and write it in "recipe" form because it's just a list of ingredients, temperatures and times in her hand on a scrap of paper right now. I never bothered to write it down because I helped her make it so many times I know it (almost) by heart.

Give me some time and I'll post it in the "candy" forum.

Thanks everybody, for all your help so far, it is great to see people helping out here. Thanks Katie. E, I will be looking out for that recipie. Please everyone, put a P.M. on here if you want to, I think that might be easier, wont it??
Otherwise just do your reply, as long as I get them all, I dont care. Once I get what I need to start me off, on this book, I will let everybody know, but it will take a while.

Yeah!! Whatever Tattrat, your opinion, not mine, your entitled to have one I s'pose. I know what Im doing, you dont, each to their own and Im not forcing anyone, Am I!!!. No- one asked u for your comment or your in-put, so just dont, OK!! I dont want your in-put only people who are interested and want to do it, you are not interested, so dont worry about it. Pick on someone else and not someone who is trying to do something new for them-selves, OK, THANKS.

Last edited:
If this is a book that you intend to sell, I think it may be a hard sell. For these types of recipes I think folks who buy want it as a history of traditions. We have just been given a facsimile of the original Joy of Cooking, printed in 1931. It is interesting--and still very useful.
We are used to having fruit like strawberries all year round, but in that time they used those recipes in season so they are alll there.
We have a family cookbook that has a "heritage" section--old recipes from past "ancestors". Fun to have as a history and tradition, but only because it is my family.
Maybe not in Australia, but in the US there is a GLUT of cookbooks, and a lot of them are not good.

I have all kinds of vintage recipes, SpiritWolf.

Here's a recipe for my Great-aunt Velma's soft, puffy sugar cookies:

Aunt Velma's Sugar Cookies
1 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
8 teaspoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups plus flour

Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Mix in dry ingredients. Roll out to 1/2" thickness on a flowered board. Cut in large circles, sprinkle with sugar and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in preheated 325 degree oven till just barely golden.

Grandma Snarr’s Sunshine Pie

4 eggs; separated
1 cup Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup water
1[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]pie shell; baked

Dissolve gelatin in water. Add 1/2 cup sugar to egg yolks, lemon juice and zest. Cook in double boiler and beat until creamy. Remove from heat and stir in gelatine. Beat egg whites till stif, then beat other 1/2 cup sugar into egg whites. Fold whites into other mixture. Spoon into baked pie crust and chill. Serve with whipped cream.

Apple Snow
Found this floating around. Haven't eaten it for years and you don't bake it but its a start...This one doesn't use pie apples but I am sure you could subsitute...goodluck finding all your recipes!

4-6 cooking apples, cored and thinkly sliced
1 C castor sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 egg whites

Put apples in a saucepan with a little water. Cover and cook until soft. Puree or push through a sieve and measure out 1 cup of puree. Add sugar and lemon juice and leave to cool. Whisk egg whites until stiff, fold in apple mixture and continue whisking until fluffy. Pile into tall glasses and decorate with whipped cream and toasted almond slivers.

Mrs. Hart's Spaghetti

25 cents worth of boiled ham
4 green peppers
1/2 lb. cheese
can of tomatoes
onion

Grind ham, pepper and onion, and boil in skillet a few minutes with can of tomatoes. Pour mixture over cooked spaghetti. Add grated cheese over top. Brown in oven

How about this one...rum balls with weet bix!!

RUM BALLS

9 Crushed Weet bix
Tin Condensed Milk
3 Small Tablespoons Cocoa
½ Cup Coconut
¾lb Mixed Fruit
7 Tablespoons Rum

Mix all ingredients together. Leave ½ - ¾ hour in the fridge. Take teaspoon at a time and roll in extra coconut.

I sell old books and paper on ebay.... Currently I have some 1909 era White House cookbooks. How many "Old Fashioned Recipes" would you like? ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, I can peek at them if someone has a request.

Back
Top Bottom