"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Seriously, what about home-made cakes? We have a deli in the village which has cakes made by a couple of "housewives" rather than the deli staff. Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Guinness cake or a really good, buttery, lemon drizzle cake, meringues with fruit and cream ......And then I wonder why I'm putting on weight!
One of my former neighbors owns a few gas station / convenience stores, and did a good business with locally sourced pies and cookies. He couldn't get enough pies around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Doesn't fit in to the non-perishable category, but something to consider at some point.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks, everybody. I will follow up on your suggestions.(in the evenings when I get home and have a chance to sit down). We don't have a web site but we are on FB for those who dare venture into that fray.. https://www.facebook.com/LakeviewDeliMeatery/

Here is the add in the local rag when we took over..

Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just took a gander at your business FB page. Your meat counter is totally drool-worthy. What a great selection!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Just took a gander at your business FB page. Your meat counter is totally drool-worthy. What a great selection!
Thanks. It's a pretty limited selection this time of year. We add another shelf as the weather gets warmer and bbq season fires up.(bad pun.). We keep things pretty simple and stick to the things that sell consistently
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Congratulations, worthy of tooting your own whistle on this, Roch!

LavAzza (brand) espresso coffee. Sub-title on the can is "Italy's favorite coffee". I know lots of people like to grind their own beans, but this stuff is really good. Bonus, the 8 oz cans don't take up a lot of space and you really don't need to sell any other espresso. And I hope for its price, it includes a big mark-up for you!

Do you have room for an olive bar? A local Italian deli doesn't have as huge a display as supermarket, but still offers many kinds to choose. You could include a tray of peppadews in there too, they aren't as easy to find elsewhere.

Some good sauces, fresh or jarred. Some pesto and alfredo for alternatives to red sauce.

Include mascarpone and fresh ricotta in your cheese area.

Some good chocolate, candy, cocoa, or bars for baking.

Pizza dough balls for the home-made- bread challenged people like me.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Your deli is larger than I visualized. I mostly remember you talking about fresh meats at various times, and I was thinking it was more a meat market/ to-go deli.

Good reader reviews on your FB page. Congratulations again.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Congrasts, Roch! Here in Ottawa, I like to hit Grace in the Kitchen for some of those specialty items (pickled green peppercorns, etc.). Next time you're in Kanata, drop in. GITK is located on Hazeldean between Eagleson and Terry Fox, across from Farm Boy and the LCBO. Love their selection of cheeses. Check out the frozen section, too.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Congrasts, Roch! Here in Ottawa, I like to hit Grace in the Kitchen for some of those specialty items (pickled green peppercorns, etc.). Next time you're in Kanata, drop in. GITK is located on Hazeldean between Eagleson and Terry Fox, across from Farm Boy and the LCBO. Love their selection of cheeses. Check out the frozen section, too.
Thanks! I've been down that road many times and never knew of GITK. We're heading to Hendrix tomorrow to buy a toaster. I'll check it out on my way back..thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Congratulations, Roch. Or deepest sympathies. Your choice, depending on how things are going for you from day to day. No matter what, I'm wishing you great success.

Since it seems like the Mediterranean diet is gaining popularity every day, you might want to consider some shelf-staple goods from the other side of the water. Jars of Kalamata olives or grape leaves, if your clientele would buy them. I think no one mentioned the good Italian tuna that is packed in olive oil. That would probably sell.

I like the idea of local home bakers having you showcase their goodies, if you do that. Just make sure the bakers are up-to-date on any code they might need to bake their goods at home.

Again, good luck. Hope you have time to keep us updated on how things are working out for you.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
Master Chef

RL, I just wanted to add that the brilliant smiles you and Winona have in that picture says it all...hope, excitement, and determination. Discouragement may come down the road, but always remember you're living the dream!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stock