Looking for Rhubarb Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have buckets of stalks of rhubarb this year and it is still growing. Both my wife and I are trying to watch our weight and do not want to make the usual rhubarb pie, cake, muffins, custard etc. Does anyone know a recipe for rhubarb salsa?

Here's a kind of rhubarb chutney to eat with cold meats. This is to be eaten straight away, not preserved in jars for later consumption.

½ onion, sliced
1 tbsp butter
2 rhubarb stalks, chopped
85ml/3fl oz red wine
splash red wine vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
pinch chilli flakes

Fry the onion in the butter until softened. Add the rhubarb and cook for a further minute. Pour in the red wine and the vinegar, the brown sugar and chilli flakes and cook down for ten minutes or until rich and syrupy. Leave till cold and eat with cold meats etc.

I have a recipe for Cherry Salsa- you could maybe substitute the rhubarb:

1 1/3 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries
1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried tart cherries
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon seeded and chopped jalapeños (see note)
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Coarsely chop frozen tart cherries. Let cherries thaw and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon cherry juice. When cherries are thawed, combine drained cherries, dried cherries, onion, jalapenos, garlic and cilantro in a medium saucepan; mix well. Combine reserved cherry juice and cornstarch in a small bowl; mix until smooth. Stir into cherry mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened. Let cool.

Back
Top Bottom