Lost pickle recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I cant remember how much sugar to use. Here is what I know.

You take a gallon of kosher dill pickles, put the pickle juice in a sauce pan. Cut the pickles into chunks, Layer the pickles with a chopped up head of garlic in the original jar. Set aside. To the pickle juice add a 2 oz bottle of Tabasco and the sugar. Mix over medium heat till sugar is clear and just starts to bubble. Pour it back in the jar over the pickles and garlic. Seal jar with saran wrap and the lid. Allow to set for 7 days, shaking a couple times a day.

Anybody know how much sugar and if I'm missing anything else? Thanks.

I've never heard of that recipe, but it sounds like something that I would really like. Sweet and hot is a great combo in my book. I guess my best bet would be to try making the recipe in small batches untill you get your sweet to hot proportion to your taste.

Sounds like a potential bacteria factory to me, especially if it isn't refrigerated. Reused diluted liquid, low-acid ingredients, and just heating the stuff.....?? Sugar might slow down some growth for awhile but it doesn't kill anything. But I guess if you eat it soon enough. Diarrhea isn't that bad. :ohmy:

wow that sounds good
cool.gif

I found this recipe that is close to what you were asking about. I am sure you would be able to adapt from this.

CANDIED DILL PICKLES

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom