Lots of Rhubarb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Any ideas to use fresh rhubarb besides sauce and pies? I have a lot of it and have already frozen a lot of sauce - hate to see it go to waste.... :chef:

I used to love eating it right out of the garden when I was growing up :yum: I found a few yummy-sounding recipes. You can probably freeze any of these for later. I might even be able to get DH to try the chutney with pork. Mmmm.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/rhubarb-salsa-recipe-2104728

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/strawberry-rhubarb-crisp-recipe-1919710

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-tenderloin-with-spiced-rhubarb-chutney-1759

Last edited:
How about creating a salsa or chutney using rhubarb (sweet and spicy)? For use with poultry or pork dishes.

Oops great minds ... sorry GG.

How about rhubarb tea? Just simmer chopped rhubarb in water for 20 minutes or so until squishy, strain and refrigerate. I don't add sugar, but you could. Maybe steep with spices like a few whole cloves or a cinnamon stick, maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime. I like it over ice. Would also make a nice cordial.

Last edited:
How about rhubarb tea? Just simmer chopped rhubarb in water for 20 minutes or so untl squishy, strain and refrigerate. I don't add sugar, but you could. Maybe steep with spices like a few whole cloves or a cinnamon stick, maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime. I like it over ice. Would also make a nice cordial.

+1 I just saw a pressure cooker recipe for infused water.

Rhubarb freezes really well.

This might be rhubarb overload, and you just reminded me to check it out, yep, it's still on the internet. Welcome | The Rhubarb Compendium

If it's not rhubarb pie, I like rhubarb muffins the next best.

Our rhubarb is just barely showing pips (whatever they are called) peeking above the ground.

I don't think that you can ever have too much rhubarb pie. :ROFLMAO:

My mother used to chop it into pie sized pieces and bag it and freeze it in pie sized batches. Seems like she almost always had some available for a pie on short notice.

Last edited:
That sounds great. I just asked my hub to let me know when the fresh rhubarb comes in.

Got it in my e-mail today, I would like to try it with fresh cherries so I can control the amount of sugar going in. Like most of us, I have to play with the recipe first:rolleyes: Some good tart cherries would be best!

Got it in my e-mail today, I would like to try it with fresh cherries so I can control the amount of sugar going in. Like most of us, I have to play with the recipe first:rolleyes: Some good tart cherries would be best!

Post recipe when you perfect it.

Rhubarb is one of my least favourite veggies. I can't stand any rhubarb dessert except ice cream. I did a whole dinner where rhubarb was featured in each meal. The main was a chickpea rhubarb curry (Marcus Samuelson) and dessert was rhubarb ice cream. Those are two ways I use rhubarb. The "love rhubarb pie" gene skipped me.

I could never bring myself to eat rhubarb. When I was a kid my neighbors had rhubarb growing on the side of their house and their cat used to pee on it!

Back
Top Bottom