"Low country shrimp boil" help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misspurkey

Assistant Cook
I am making my first shrimp boil ever and it's in a crock pot. The lemon flavor in the broth that I am cooking everything in is overpowering. What can I use to "mask" this? I have about two hours left of cooking. My broth ingredients were water, beer, Old Bay and two lemons. I took the lemons out about an hour ago. Currently I have potatoes, corn on the cob, cooked sausage and onion in the crock pot. I wouldn't mind if it tasted a little bit "sweeter", but I don't want to put sugar in (as I have read on other websites) and possibly ruin the whole meal. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

You may need to remove some liquid and save for another use. Then add a bottle of store bought clam juice or some chicken broth.

Grab the sausage and onion, put it in a pot with some chicken broth and simmer for 30 min.

Then remove an equal amount of the lemony liquid and replace with the sausage onion and broth.

As an aside, I can't imagine corn cooked in a crock pot.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you! I replaced the lemon liquid and added some chicken broth too. There was a lot of lemon pulp floating around that I didn't see until I took it out. Sampled the sausage and corn and the sweetness of each has not been compromised.
I have never cooked corn on the cob in a crock pot before either, but it is rather tasty. Used fresh sweet corn, cut the cob into thirds and it has cooked up rather nicely.
Thanks again!

Why are you cooking a shrimp boil in a crock pot? A crock pot is for dishes that need long, slow cooking. A shrimp boil might take 1/2 hour at most, once the water comes to a boil.

Why are you cooking a shrimp boil in a crock pot? A crock pot is for dishes that need long, slow cooking. A shrimp boil might take 1/2 hour at most, once the water comes to a boil.

I am aware of what a crock pot is used for, but my oven had an electrical short 2 days ago and it was either crock pot or microwave until my replacement arrives. Since I had already bought the ingredients, this seemed like the best option for me.

I am aware of what a crock pot is used for, but my oven had an electrical short 2 days ago and it was either crock pot or microwave until my replacement arrives. Since I had already bought the ingredients, this seemed like the best option for me.

Oh, that makes sense. Bummer about the stove. I hope it worked out for you.

Oh, that makes sense. Bummer about the stove. I hope it worked out for you.
Thank you. Nothing like a loud electric buzz and white sparks flying inside the oven when your in the middle of cooking dinner, scaring you to death. (that was me Monday night) lol

Thank you very much. I just came across this site today. Cooking is my favorite hobby!:)

Well, you are one creative lady, to have a low country shrimp boil in the CP! Kudos, and welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Good McGuyver!

I think the most important thing was to switch out the lemony liquid.

But it's also important to switch it with liquid that tastes the same as your original liquid .

So if this happens if you have a cooktop, use all the ingredients besides the offenders to replace the liquid.

get-attachment.aspx

Came out pretty good actually!

I hope the shrimp were a last minute addition. The difference between perfectly cooked and over cooked can be just a matter of seconds.

I agree. Good thinking on using what you had, the crock pot, to cook the seafood you had already purchased.

Back
Top Bottom