Lunch with my Hubby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
My husband and I have been meeting for lunch weekly since we got married. Usually I make something quick: sandwiches, salads, wraps etc. Anyone have any ideas of foods that work well on the go? Does anyone else meet up during the week to share a meal with their main squeeze?:wub:

My husband and I have been meeting for lunch weekly since we got married. Usually I make something quick: sandwiches, salads, wraps etc. Anyone have any ideas of foods that work well on the go? Does anyone else meet up during the week to share a meal with their main squeeze?:wub:

That's a really nice custom to have.

Where do you eat these lunches? Does he come home? Do you go to his office?

That's sweet. Do the two of you like the infamous "Sesame Noodles" so many of us are crazy about? Makes a great lunch.

I must confess I had to giggle with your question though. When my dad first retired, he was driving my mom bonkers. Her mantra of the time was "for better or for worse, but not for lunch". Now that my own husband is retired, I can relate. :LOL:

You can take hot dogs in a small cooler. Put the dogs in the cooler and cover with boiling water. They'll be cooked by the time you meet.

That's a really nice custom to have.

Where do you eat these lunches? Does he come home? Do you go to his office?

We usually go to a soccer field near his work. It's a nice green area where we can watch the birds and squirrels, but it's not the best for picnicking (no grill, and a really broken table) The best part is that we usually have it to our selves and it's a really nice piece of land.

That's sweet. Do the two of you like the infamous "Sesame Noodles" so many of us are crazy about? Makes a great lunch.

Do you have a recipe?? I LOVE THEM!!!

I must confess I had to giggle with your question though. When my dad first retired, he was driving my mom bonkers. Her mantra of the time was "for better or for worse, but not for lunch". Now that my own husband is retired, I can relate. :LOL:

HaHaHa That's funny.

You can take hot dogs in a small cooler. Put the dogs in the cooler and cover with boiling water. They'll be cooked by the time you meet.

That is really interesting. I have never heard of that!

My former lady and I used to do this quite often in the spring time. We had a spot at a public park, a picnic table under an olive tree. Because we were both working, in two different cities, we would usually pick up take-out food, but not fast food. Chinese was one of our favorties because the best Chinese take-away in town was 4 blocks away and we could get several different items and eat family style.

Do you have a Boston Market in your area? They have some really great meals that are perfect for two. Rotisserie chicken, beef brisket, chicken and turkey pot pies, lots of sides (they make the best creamed spinach!), salads, and beverages, and I believe you can call ahead and have it all packaged up and ready to go by the time you pull in the parking lot.

When my DH was working close by and I was attending culinary school, I used to take lunch to him and we would eat together. What we had didn't really matter because he worked in the basement office of his boss and we were allowed to use the microwave, etc.

When we first got married (almost 10 years ago now), I was doing part time work in a church office 10 blocks down the road from our house. He would make a very nice lunch and have it with me.

Some of the things I enjoyed during these times were cold plates featuring home made potato salad, cold meats we could roll up and eat with our hands, pickles, etc. Meal salads are great too, as long as you have ice packs to keep them cold until they are eaten.

How about lettuce wraps, steamed rice kept warm in a thermos and then topped with salsa cruda How about quesadillas filled with chicken and cheese?put together all the things you love on nachos, a round loaf of french or Italian bread, cut through the middle put some olive salad down, add your favorite meats at least 2 kind some cheese slices,more olive salad weigh dig in. down the top and Athermos of cold summer soup crusty bread and butter along with some cold grilled shrimp and ice tea.
kadesma;)

How about lettuce wraps, steamed rice kept warm in a thermos and then topped with salsa cruda How about quesadillas filled with chicken and cheese?put together all the things you love on nachos, a round loaf of french or Italian bread, cut through the middle put some olive salad down, add your favorite meats at least 2 kind some cheese slices,more olive salad weigh dig in. down the top and Athermos of cold summer soup crusty bread and butter along with some cold grilled shrimp and ice tea.
kadesma;)

That sounds wonderful! I want to get some cold soup recipes and try them out.

A great deal depends on what you both like to eat.

If you're not too far away from the soccer field, just about anything can be on the menu. With insulated picnic carriers and containers, you can keep foods hot for a long time. So, yo can get as fancy or complicated as you want and be able to deliver it ready to go.

Perhaps some grilled panini. There's a whole thread on how to make reubens.

I thought my Mom was the only one that did that! She used an old thermos bottle. It held about four hotdogs and kept them hot for hours

when my late husband and i were working people in the 60's. we met almost everyday in the city park. i would walk from my work and meet him there. we never had anything fancy, and the meal for us was not the point. we could talk about anything, no kids. we stopped doing that when i moved my camera shop to another part of town. i loved it and him.

Here are some of the soups I have. Each is great, I'll list them if there are any you'd like let me know and I'll post for you,
Kades
1. Strawberry soup, Plum souppeacg,melon gazpacho, I also have an avocado soup,cucumber soup,and raspberry soup.

Joy, here's the recipe for the noodles I mentioned. You could add shrimp, or really any protein for a main dish. Last summer we were all nuts for them....
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-sesame-noodles-68813.html

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try them!

I have several, In fact I put up one for cantaloupe not so long ago. I'll look and see what I can find,
kadesma:)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/cold-cantaloupe-soup-tnt-71698.html This is lovely and s
o goodkades

Have you ever made it without the sherry? I wouldn't want my hubby to smell like booze to head to work :ROFLMAO:

when my late husband and i were working people in the 60's. we met almost everyday in the city park. i would walk from my work and meet him there. we never had anything fancy, and the meal for us was not the point. we could talk about anything, no kids. we stopped doing that when i moved my camera shop to another part of town. i loved it and him.

That is such a sweet story. I really enjoy meeting him for lunch, it's a change of pace for both of us and we can just be together.

Here are some of the soups I have. Each is great, I'll list them if there are any you'd like let me know and I'll post for you,
Kades
1. Strawberry soup, Plum souppeacg,melon gazpacho, I also have an avocado soup,cucumber soup,and raspberry soup.

Could I please have the Strawberry, Raspberry and the avocado :angel: They all sound wonderful!

All the soups have some wine or sherry I don't see why a sparkling water or apple cider couldn't be use. For the kids I use cider.Anyway here is the strawberry soup you will need 3 pints stem removed berries 1/4 cup sugar or more to taste pinch of cardamom 2 cups white or rose wine plus more to thin your soupmilled black pepper and 2 Tab. chopped mint leaves. Set aside 2 cups of berries, coarsely chop remaining berries and place in blender add the sugar cadamom and 2 cups of wine or cider Blend til mix is smooth Transfer to soup tureen and taste add more sugar if you wish Thin with additional liquid if woup is too thick Season with pepper refrigerate about 2 hrs. Meanwhile slice the reserved berries sprinkle with 1 tab sugar and refrigerate , to serve divide sliced berries among individual bowls and ladle chilled soup over them. Grind black pepper over each bowl and scatter chopped mint over each bowl.
kades
Avocado soup
Heat 2 Tab. evoo in small skillet over med heat. Add 1 small white onion minced and saute till limp about 10 min. Add3 minced serrano chiles saute 5 min and add 3 garlic cloves minced saute 2 min more Remove from heat and cool slightly. Cut 3 hass avocados in hal remove pits , scoop out the flesh and place in blender or f/p add half of3-1/2 cups chicken brothand add the onion mixture and puree. Put in a large container stir in remaining broth and refrigerate til chilled at least 3 hrs. Stir in 2-3 Tab. of lime juice put in1-1/2 tab. cilantro or more if you prefer before I dish this up I add some crumbled bacon and and about 2 oz of blue cheese this goes on top of each serving---enjoy
Raspberry soupsoak 1-1/2 envelopes of gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water for 5 min. Stir in 3/4 c. hot water and dissolve over low heat. Push raspberries through a strainer to remove seeds then puree Combine3 10oz packs of thawed berries, 3-1/2cups sour cream (28)oz1-1/3 c. pineapple juice1-1/3c. half and half 1-1/3 c. of sherry I'd use some milk 1/3 c. grenadine 2 Tab lemon juice garnish with mint some whole raspberries Put everything in glass bowl cover and refrigerate when ready to serve sprinkle with garnishes listed... This can be frozen and served like a yogurt snack
kadesma

All the soups have some wine or sherry I don't see why a sparkling water or apple cider couldn't be use. For the kids I use cider.Anyway here is the strawberry soup you will need 3 pints stem removed berries 1/4 cup sugar or more to taste pinch of cardamom 2 cups white or rose wine plus more to thin your soupmilled black pepper and 2 Tab. chopped mint leaves. Set aside 2 cups of berries, coarsely chop remaining berries and place in blender add the sugar cadamom and 2 cups of wine or cider Blend til mix is smooth Transfer to soup tureen and taste add more sugar if you wish Thin with additional liquid if woup is too thick Season with pepper refrigerate about 2 hrs. Meanwhile slice the reserved berries sprinkle with 1 tab sugar and refrigerate , to serve divide sliced berries among individual bowls and ladle chilled soup over them. Grind black pepper over each bowl and scatter chopped mint over each bowl.
kades
Avocado soup
Heat 2 Tab. evoo in small skillet over med heat. Add 1 small white onion minced and saute till limp about 10 min. Add3 minced serrano chiles saute 5 min and add 3 garlic cloves minced saute 2 min more Remove from heat and cool slightly. Cut 3 hass avocados in hal remove pits , scoop out the flesh and place in blender or f/p add half of3-1/2 cups chicken brothand add the onion mixture and puree. Put in a large container stir in remaining broth and refrigerate til chilled at least 3 hrs. Stir in 2-3 Tab. of lime juice put in1-1/2 tab. cilantro or more if you prefer before I dish this up I add some crumbled bacon and and about 2 oz of blue cheese this goes on top of each serving---enjoy
Raspberry soupsoak 1-1/2 envelopes of gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water for 5 min. Stir in 3/4 c. hot water and dissolve over low heat. Push raspberries through a strainer to remove seeds then puree Combine3 10oz packs of thawed berries, 3-1/2cups sour cream (28)oz1-1/3 c. pineapple juice1-1/3c. half and half 1-1/3 c. of sherry I'd use some milk 1/3 c. grenadine 2 Tab lemon juice garnish with mint some whole raspberries Put everything in glass bowl cover and refrigerate when ready to serve sprinkle with garnishes listed... This can be frozen and served like a yogurt snack
kadesma

Thanks! I can't wait to give them a try!

Back
Top Bottom