"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Made something today it came amazing..

Hey guys and gals, I have been super busy with life, so haven't had a ton of time to come and visit, but I was thinking about 'you's today...

I made a prime rip Friday night, it came great and I ate way to much, but we had about 3 lbs left, and tonight for dinner we had me, my 2 boys, and 4 other kids here for dinner, so I wanted to use the left over "hunk" of meat to make dinner for them.

I was going to do an au jus and make them some swiss melt sandwhiches, but they had sandwiches for lunch, so I kind of went in blind, I started cooking with no idea where I was heading, BUT it came AMAZING, I dont know how or why, but it was so yummy...

So I took a little of the fat from the bottom of the pan I cooked the roast in and cooked up 3 white onions, I through in a couple cups of small carrots, and some garlic...

I cut that entire 3lbs of prime rib into cubes about 1", I then boiled up some beef stock {about 4-5cups}.

I poured a cup of cooking wine over the onions and carrots, then I added a can of tomato paste, and let it cook few minutes...

Now, I had the beef stock in the dutch oven and I could tell this was going to be a lot of food so I split stock and the onion mix between to oven pans with lids.

I added the cooked beef and 1 lb of orzo to each oven pan and put them in the oven on 325...

I checked it after about an a half hour and the pasta was tender-ish but I was running low on moisture so I added a can of stewed tomatoes to each pan and let it cook about another 15 minutes...

I took it out, and called the kids for dinner, it smelt really really good, I let them try it and they were devouring it, asking what it was called, lol...

So I figured it was safe and made my self a plate, the meat was tender as could be, the veggies were just soft enough, pasta was perfect and it had a rich flavor, almost like a very well made gourmet beef stew...

Anyway I figured I would share, next week I am going to try to reproduce this in a way I can measure and make a recipe out of... Its similar to how I do my osso buco, except for almost all the ingredients, lol...

Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
Head Chef

Throw in some cubed potatoes instead of orzo and ya got a deal!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Throw in some cubed potatoes instead of orzo and ya got a deal!
I really like orzo. Mushrooms would also add great flavor to your stew. And use a more inexpensive cut, like chuck or round, or cube-steak. Braised properly, they also will melt in the mouth, and have a great, beefy flavor. Save the Standing Rib for special occasions. If you have leftovers, they can be frozen in some of the drippings.

Other than using a very good piece of meat though, I'd say that you did everything perfectly. Nice job.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I really like orzo.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Ya, sorry. I'm still working on beef stew. His leftover recipe sounds fancier than using his left over beef for my standard beef stew attempts. I should have noted the tomatoes and the orzo and wine as being other than my standard beef stew attempts.