Magical gingerbread transformation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtrumIncendia

Assistant Cook
I just learned from my old mammy that putting slices of white bread in a tupperware container of cooked gingerbread cookies makes them softer even after they've hardened and have been sitting for a few days. Can anyone explain why this happens?

I just learned from my old mammy that putting slices of white bread in a tupperware container of cooked gingerbread cookies makes them softer even after they've hardened and have been sitting for a few days. Can anyone explain why this happens?

It's probably the moisture from the bread that is absorbed by the cookies that makes them soft.

What Andy said. We do that with our lebkuchen cookies. I've even been known to do that with chocolate chip cookies or other cookies that are too hard. Need to let the bread sit there for a couple of days to notice the difference and you may need to change the bread too. The bread will be hard and the cookies will be soft.

moisture from the bread. if you live near the coast, you can just leave them uncovered and they`ll get soft for the same reason, moisture in the air. ;)

What Andy said. We do that with our lebkuchen cookies. I've even been known to do that with chocolate chip cookies or other cookies that are too hard. Need to let the bread sit there for a couple of days to notice the difference and you may need to change the bread too. The bread will be hard and the cookies will be soft.

A decent CC cookie would never last 3 days in my house!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom