"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Would that be allowed for you? Mixing dairy and meat?
If I observed the kosher laws then no it would not be allowed, but I don't keep kosher. There are too many things I love to eat that would not be allowed. No more lobster or steamers or pork ribs or bacon. Sorry I could not handle that

Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Everymom

WOW! That would be a lot to give up! Well then, give the Velveeta a shot. I know lots of folks look down their noses at it, but it is filling and tasty...specially for kids!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

Instead of buying all those package crap use a crockpot get the items ready the night before put them in the crock pot in the morning and all you have to do is set the table. go to the crockpot recipes in the forum.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I love using my crockpot and do so quite often, but again it requires a lot more prep than just browning some ground beef and then adding a flavor packet and dried pasta. It also requires a lot more cleaning. the big thing though is it requires me to wake up even earlier in the morning to start dinner and I am not willing to give up my extra 5 minutes of sleep
Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

GB, I'm with Alix on this one. Hamburger Helper is by no means a gourmet meal but it is okay for a quick meal. You can always dress it up. You can add Velveeta or any other cheese that you like, substitute sausage, chicken, etc. for the ground beef, blah, blah, blah. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Hamburger Helper but with a little tinkering, it can turn out okay!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
...Well while I was eating this I though that this would be something so easy to make on my own. Why am I buying this prepackaged stuff.

My question is have any of you done this and what did you put in your 'flavor packet" to make the sauce?
Getting back to your original question, If I make my own mix, it's usually on the fly. I haven't prepackaged any stuff for quick meals. I have, however, cooked and frozen lots of stuff that just needs to be defrosted and heated to eat.

I use very little prepackaged stuff for a quick meal. One item is cream of mushroom soup. I only use that for one dish that's a nostalgia carryover from my Boy Scout camping days.

I have also used the Uncle Ben's 90-second rice for a quickie - not the flavored stuff, the plain white rice.

Also, those packets of dry mixes like ranch dressing powder, Lipton soup packets, I use from time to time for a quick flavor boost to roast potatoes.

I received a 4-pack of Emeril's Essences (Original, Southwest, Asian and Italian) for Christmas last year and use them to season different dishes or as a rub for burgers, chops and steaks.

On weeknights, I an usually have dinner on the table in 30-45 minutes. Of course, sometimes it takes longer and sometimes less.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

andy, i love emeril's seafood spice rub. oddly, it tastes better on chicken than on fish. i'm not sure if it's available any longer tho. i have been looking for it without success for about a year now.
i also use the original essence in dishes when i don't feel like coming up with each individual spice.

btw, what is the nostalgic boy scout dish you referred to?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
...btw, what is the nostalgic boy scout dish you referred to?
BT:

It was a one pan meal we made when camping. We called it "Glop" for the sound it made when it hit the aluminum dish from your mess kit.

1 Lb Hamburg
1 Onion, diced
1-2 Garlic
A small can of mushrooms, sliced
a small can of corn (1 cup frozen)
a small can of green peas (1 cup frozen)
a can of potatoes - sliced or diced
a can of cream of mushroom soup

Cook the meat, onion and garlic.
Add the rest and heat through.

I usually use frozen corn and peas and fresh mushrooms now but still use the canned potato and soup. If I made the cream of mushroom soup from scratch and cooked fresh potatoes, I'd have to give it a better name. It wouldn't taste the same, either.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well while I was eating this I though that this would be something so easy to make on my own. Why am I buying this prepackaged stuff.
I can only guess that you buy this stuff for every reason you mentioned ... which all boils down to convenience. You brown some meat, add some water and the "packets" - in a few minutes you have a meal, with only one pot to wash. No real prep and not much to clean up afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
My question is have any of you done this and what did you put in your "flavor packet" to make the sauce?
I've never tried it - but I did think about it once. Then, after looking at the ingredients on the boxes I realized it wasn't worth either the time, effort, or expense to try to reinvent the wheel. Those little packets aren't just flavor packets - they are the sauces and include dehydrated/powdered dairy products, vegetable proteins and vegetables - in addition to the spices.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
Sous Chef

If it is OK to copy someone else's post from another board I can post a "packet" recipe here. I copied and pasted so I have it. So far, I've made 2 of the variations. It requires a little more work than the packaged kits because you use the same "packet" for all variations so you need to add a few extras, but things one usually would have on hand.