Make your own Shake'n Bake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I found this recipe, and plan to try it as soon as I use up a couple of boxes of the storebought stuff that I already have. I like the idea of making my own, as I can control the salt and alter the seasoning, and it's bound to taste fresher.

Shake N' Bake like Kraft's
Serves: 4-6

2/3 cup crushed plain corn flakes
1 Tbls. whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground mustard seed
1 dash granulated sugar
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. chicken pieces

-Shake together first 7 ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag.
-Drizzle oil over dry mixture; seal bag and shake to mix.
-Shake chicken pieces, 1 - 2 piece at a time, in mixture.
-Place coated chicken on an ungreased baking sheet.
-Bake chicken in a 400 degree oven until juices run clear, about 20 minutes for boneless chicken and 45 minutes for bone-in chicken.

wow constance this is great. i love shake and bake
but it has so much sodium in it and i have high
blood pressure. thank you so much for posting this !

Sometimes I wonder if we all have psychic powers with one another on DC! I swear to goodness I've been meaning to make a post asking for a corn flake coating recipe, as I've oodles of corn flakes and no chicken recipes!

Thanks a bundle Constance (I'll be making it with organic corn flakes do you think it'll make a difference :huh:???)

Last edited:
texasgirl said:
Cool, I like shake n bake too.
I like using frosted flakes on some thing too.
What sorts of things to you make with frosted flakes? Have you used them in a savoury recipe? (Sounds interesting! :))

Another copy and paste. As a bonus, you could mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and add the oil to the coating when you want to use it. a question, is ground mustard seed the same as dry mustard?

Jessica, I think organic corn flakes would be just fine.

Purr, the ground mustard seed is the same as dry mustard. I infer from the recipe that you can go ahead and put the oil in when you mix the coating, and it will keep all right that way. But I'm not sure...

Back
Top Bottom