"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making a roast...

Ok. I feel like this is a totally stupid question, but I don't cook...ever, so I don't know alot. Haha. Anyway, here's my question:

I want to make a roast in my slow cooker and the recipe calls for a chuck pot roast or bottom round roast. The label on the roast I have says "eye of round roast". Will that work for me, or does it really matter?

I feel so stupid for having to ask. Haha. But please help.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Half Baked

Eye of round doesn't have a lot of intramuscular fat so it will get kind of dry if cooked past med.

You would probably be better off roasting it in an oven.I would cook to med rare and let it finish while resting.It could also use some help in the flavor dept since it has little fat.I would inject with a marinade or cut some slits and poke garlic cloves at the least.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks. :) I'll try that. Wish me luck. Haha.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Eye of round, as stated by 4meandthem, is indeed a lean cut of meat. It also has little connecting tissue, or silver skin as it is one piece of muscle tissue. That helps. Round typically has a good flavor profile as it is well fed by lots of blood. It is an exercised muscle.

If cooking in the oven, the meat should be roasted dry, without a lid, to no more than 140' F. internal temp. Remove it from the oven at that point and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving. When you go to carve it, pay careful attention to the meat grain (the direction that the fibers are going). Make your slices across the grain (at a right angle to the grain). Make thin slices as if you were making a deli sandwich. Take any pan juices and mix them with the juices from the cutting board or platter in a small sauce pan. Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste and cook until clear. Thicken if you want with a cornstarch slurry. Saute'd mushrooms go great with the eye of round.

Another thing you can do to enhance the meat flavor is to poke a slender, pointy knife into the meat at 1 inch intervals and inset raw bacon into the slits. These are called lardoons and help make the meat more moist and add a touch of smoky flavor.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Another thing you can do to enhance the meat flavor is to poke a slender, pointy knife into the meat at 1 inch intervals and inset raw bacon into the slits. These are called lardoons and help make the meat more moist and add a touch of smoky flavor.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Great tip GW!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
Master Chef

I love eye round roast!! It is the only cut of beef I actually roast for a roast beef dinner. It has a wonderful flavor as is with just a coat of oil and a sprinkle of spices on the outside before going in the oven.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Eye of round from the smoker....

Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

Awesome picks guys.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Ummm.. yum...

Who's are we having first?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

.40 BEAUTIFUL PIC! I love the crust on your roast!! How was it in the middle - Pink or red?