Making a roast...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrysM

Assistant Cook
Ok. I feel like this is a totally stupid question, but I don't cook...ever, so I don't know alot. Haha. Anyway, here's my question:

I want to make a roast in my slow cooker and the recipe calls for a chuck pot roast or bottom round roast. The label on the roast I have says "eye of round roast". Will that work for me, or does it really matter?

I feel so stupid for having to ask. Haha. But please help.

Eye of round doesn't have a lot of intramuscular fat so it will get kind of dry if cooked past med.

You would probably be better off roasting it in an oven.I would cook to med rare and let it finish while resting.It could also use some help in the flavor dept since it has little fat.I would inject with a marinade or cut some slits and poke garlic cloves at the least.

Eye of round, as stated by 4meandthem, is indeed a lean cut of meat. It also has little connecting tissue, or silver skin as it is one piece of muscle tissue. That helps. Round typically has a good flavor profile as it is well fed by lots of blood. It is an exercised muscle.

If cooking in the oven, the meat should be roasted dry, without a lid, to no more than 140' F. internal temp. Remove it from the oven at that point and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving. When you go to carve it, pay careful attention to the meat grain (the direction that the fibers are going). Make your slices across the grain (at a right angle to the grain). Make thin slices as if you were making a deli sandwich. Take any pan juices and mix them with the juices from the cutting board or platter in a small sauce pan. Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste and cook until clear. Thicken if you want with a cornstarch slurry. Saute'd mushrooms go great with the eye of round.

Another thing you can do to enhance the meat flavor is to poke a slender, pointy knife into the meat at 1 inch intervals and inset raw bacon into the slits. These are called lardoons and help make the meat more moist and add a touch of smoky flavor.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Another thing you can do to enhance the meat flavor is to poke a slender, pointy knife into the meat at 1 inch intervals and inset raw bacon into the slits. These are called lardoons and help make the meat more moist and add a touch of smoky flavor.

Great tip GW! :chef:

I love eye round roast!! It is the only cut of beef I actually roast for a roast beef dinner. It has a wonderful flavor as is with just a coat of oil and a sprinkle of spices on the outside before going in the oven.

img_917613_0_83bb4e5a5e8bdd1410f9a11cf7a40bb1.jpg

img_917613_1_539859095debcfdfac3422147dcaf947.jpg

.40 BEAUTIFUL PIC! I love the crust on your roast!! How was it in the middle - Pink or red?

Absolutely beautiful roasts, guys. You have to move into my hometown, cause I want some of that, either roast, doesn't matter. They are both making me want to get an eye of round, especially with the beautiful field mushrooms I've got in my kitchen right now, you know, big, parasol shaped white mushrooms with the gorgeous ping gills. Suddenly, I'm very hungry.:LOL:

I find this thread interesting.

I personally don't care for eye round roasts (although the ones pictured look fantastic) as I find them pretty chewy and not all that great.

Some sites I've run across actually suggest this cut as a pot roast because it's kinda tough.

Absolutely beautiful roasts, guys. You have to move into my hometown, cause I want some of that, either roast, doesn't matter. They are both making me want to get an eye of round, especially with the beautiful field mushrooms I've got in my kitchen right now, you know, big, parasol shaped white mushrooms with the gorgeous ping gills. Suddenly, I'm very hungry.:LOL:

Thank you. LOL MAKE some Cream of Wild Mushroom soup!! LOL I KNOW you have the recipe!! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom