Making an impression and saying thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Owner

Assistant Cook
Dear All,

On a Sunday lunch in a few weeks time I want to cook for two business friends and their Wives.

It is an informal gathering and the purpose is to say thank you for the work that they pass my way. Whilst informal, I do want them to see that I have made an effort and that this isn't just a simple Sunday lunch roast meal.

I have two dishes in mind to serve up which are Beef Wellington and Fore Rib of beef. I would appreciate thoughts on what dish that forum members think will give the best impression of effort. I have cooked both without any major stress.

Many thanks

MV

I’d go with the beef Wellington. It takes more effort and that’s clear with the presentation.

Beef Wellington done perfectly is more impressive of the two, but a perfect Prime Rib (American speak..;)) has less of a margin for error. What do you plan for the rest of the menu?
By the way, welcome back to Discuss Cooking!:chef:

Last edited:
Thanks for your help friends,

My thoughts have always been the Wellington as it shows more of an effort. I am not concerned so much about the margin for error as I have cooked it a number of times. I will not be doing a starter or desert but do plan to match the wine well

I like the rib roast, but packed in salt. Also, place slits between the ribs to creat pocets, and fill with duxeslles. Then, salt and roast to rare. You still get something spectacular, but with more pure umami flavor.

Treat them with an appetizer, a clear beef conssume. It has to have great flavor though. It won't fill them up and will wet their taste buds for the meal.

Another great option is a lamb crown roast, pared with diced pears, or a pork crown roast, with savory rice dressing on top. That is equally spectacular looking, and easy to make. Might I suggest a cheesecake filing combined into a trifle for desert, with Chantilly cream of course.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
What about Hasselback potatoes?

img_2967.jpg

After making an attempt to discover if the guests have any issues with different foods, I would go with I can do best and easy enough to reduce stress on myself so I can be at ease at the event. Maybe you could ask family members that have already enjoyed your specialties to find out which one is the best.
Good luck

I think you probably answered your own question.
You are comfortable with Beef Wellington. Stick with it and don't stress yourself.

It is not an everyday meal but a classy one, which to my mind shows you went the "extra mile".
You could do small roasted potatoes chunks, started earlier and browned and crisped with the Wellington.

A simple green salad or one with some seasonal fruit in it would complete. I just came across this one today fall pear chopped salad and think I'll try it this Fri with/for a friend on her Last Radiation Ring the Bell!

Back
Top Bottom