"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making Bread Crumbs Stick

Hi All,

This is my first post so first off, hi! :)

Now for the question, my g/f and I tried making Eggplant Parmigiana last weekend. It turned out really well BUT the texture was slightly off. I have a feeling this was because the frying process didn't go as planned. The bread crumbs refused to stick to the eggplant. So, how do we manage to get them to stick? We are both vegetarian and she prefers no eggs so if it's possible without using egg that would be great. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Hi Joel
Getting the crumb to stick to the eggplant in the first place takes practice. Sub the egg wash with a flour and water wash a little thicker than milk and it will do the same job.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Normally, I'd do flour, egg, breadcrumb. You could try flour, water, breadcrumb.

Give the cutlets a chance to set before frying them, too. Leave them for half an hour after you bread them before you fry them.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Head Chef

I was going to suggest batter dipped, but batter requires at least egg yolks. Seems that eggs are Mother Nature's glue for bread crumbs. Good luck with an alternative glue for your crumbs.

JoeV
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I was going to suggest batter dipped, but batter requires at least egg yolks. Seems that eggs are Mother Nature's glue for bread crumbs. Good luck with an alternative glue for your crumbs.

JoeV
Commercial batter doesn't have egg in it Joe, be it for battering or as a wash for crumbing, so do just the flour and water and it will work fine. You will notice a slight difference in taste and the thicker the batter the more crumb on the product so you need to be careful.
Flour then the wash then the crumb, I coat with fine semolina instead of flour, that way you can stack the items before going through the wash and they will not stick together.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone! I will probably try this out in a couple weeks and see how it goes. When I put it on do I just use a brush or do I actually submerge the eggplant into the wash for a few seconds?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

Fried eggplant is one of my favorite dishes either as it is or in eggplant parmesan. I don't know that you can really make the crumbs stick without the egg so that's not something I can comment on but it seems that the egg would give the crumbs something to hang on to.

I just wanted to share a tip with you. I started doing this a few years ago and it worked so well I do it with everything I bread. Instead of flour, use cornstarch. Cornstarch has a way of keeping whatever you're frying crisp and crunchy. Don't keep the heat too low or you'll wind up with soggy fried food, but try the cornstarch and see if it makes a difference to you. When I fry eggplant slices, they crisp up beautifully. And because this is corn flour instead of wheat flour, it can be used for those with allergies to wheat products.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Head Chef

Ah.. Flour the egg plant, then dip in egg then flour again.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Fried eggplant is one of my favorite dishes either as it is or in eggplant parmesan. I don't know that you can really make the crumbs stick without the egg so that's not something I can comment on but it seems that the egg would give the crumbs something to hang on to.

I just wanted to share a tip with you. I started doing this a few years ago and it worked so well I do it with everything I bread. Instead of flour, use cornstarch. Cornstarch has a way of keeping whatever you're frying crisp and crunchy. Don't keep the heat too low or you'll wind up with soggy fried food, but try the cornstarch and see if it makes a difference to you. When I fry eggplant slices, they crisp up beautifully. And because this is corn flour instead of wheat flour, it can be used for those with allergies to wheat products.
I also use cornstarch first then egg then crumbs. This summer I made fried eggplant slices that way with panko bread crumbs they came out great.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

going to try the cornstarch thing.