Making latkes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I want to make latkes tomorrow for the first time. Do you have any tips, and are there certain things I need to know. It's fairly easy to make these, or isn't it?

Hey Argamemnon, I am doing a fly by so I can't give you all the links I otherwise would but search potato pancakes, and potato latkes etc on here. There is a bunch of recipes with good info in them. Good luck!

My best tip is to grate the onions first and have it mix with the potatoes to keep the potatoes white. I also like to add matzoh meal as my binder instead of flour. That and egg and salt and pepper and you have latkes. My mom fried them in vegetable or canola oil. It is best to drain them and eat immediately so that they remain crispy.

Some folks grate the potatoes in water and then, drain them well in kitchen towels. My mom use to do that a long time ago.

Then, there is the choice of potato. My mom used Idahoes but I have even used Yukon Golds.

There has also been a discussion on other sites about how to eat them.
Sour cream? Sugar? Apple Sauce?

I have a pretty large collection of latke recipes from around the world. If you search the net, you will find latkes with all different vegetables added.

Susan, will have to have a latke war one of this days. We'll have to find a person who would want to conduct it for us. Just like one I had with the pancakes.

One question though, what kind of greater are you using?

I use to use a box grater, now I use the food processor. Actually, I even have an electric grater that is pretty wild.

I use the box grater when I make mine. When I've done it in the food processor I wasn't crazy about the texture. I use the bigger wholes on the grater and I use red potatoes. I add the same ing. that Susan does except I do use flour.

Barb

Real latkes are grated finer and not shredded. Potato pancakes are not the same thing as hashbrowns. Perhaps that will give you an idea of texture.

I want to make latkes tomorrow for the first time. Do you have any tips, and are there certain things I need to know. It's fairly easy to make these, or isn't it?

They're fairly easy to make. It's not quite as easy to make them well, at least in my opinion! The box grater produces the best texture, but tends to do a number on the knuckles.

When I grate on the larger holes of my box grater it is not shredded like hashbrowns, it's definitely grated.

Barb

okay, I'll put my 2 cents worth in....I don't like to grate the potatoes. I do them in the Cuisinart after I've done the onion in it....I process them until there are no "pieces"...
I usually use Yukon gold taters or idahos. A good amount of salt and freshly ground pepper, a couple of eggs and I too would rather use matzo meal instead of flour.Not too much. Give it a good mix. I use deep Canola oil.....I find they don't come out too greasy if they are done in deep oil. I have frozen them, and after I've taken them out of the freezer to defrost, I put them on a rack in the oven..... They come out real nice and crispy.

Real latkes are grated finer and not shredded. Potato pancakes are not the same thing as hashbrowns. Perhaps that will give you an idea of texture.

Aha, Susan, I love you, you made my day. In Ukraine, where latkes come from, the graders even have diferent names. The one with biger holes is called a beet root grader and the one with small holes, the one that is a must for grading potato for latkes is called potato grader. So one cannot even imagine using anything but the small grader for latkes. Not always the case here in the states. People use the big holes left and right, and make hash browns, but argue that that are latkes, sorry, no way no how. Latkes are latkes, everything else is ****, oh waith that's Irish, my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom