"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making lunch for school

I'm currently in 11th grade, and have gotten into the habit of waking up at 5:30 to run/exercise. As I'll also be starting a physics club at school, I won't have time to buy lunch at noon(plus school lunch is horrendous anyways), so I decided that I'd make myself lunch to prepare for college and whatnot.

I am looking for fast recipes(<20 mknutes) that I can make in the morning or the night before. I have a thermal lunch box so heat will not be an issue. The few Google searches I did were not particularly helpful so I came here instead.

Any source of recipes is fine, I am willing to spend a little money on cookbooks, but websites/blogs work too. Specific recipe recommendations are welcome as well. Thanks!

Any type of cooking is welcome, learning ethnic cooking would be quite fun as a side benefit of making lunch.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hey Salty, welcome to DC!

What do you want to eat?

I never really used recipes for a sack lunch. I usually went with leftovers from last nights dinner, salads with various toppings, a sandwich or a collection of individual items like yogurt, cheese, hard boiled eggs, fruit, cookies, etc...

Stick around and I'm sure you will get several ideas.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Some days I may eat left overs, but my family usually eats out on Sundays, so there wouldn't usually be leftovers for Monday lunch (when my club is supposed to be). cooking quick dishes seems like a pretty useful skill to have anyways, so I still want to find some quick dishes.

Some days I may just throw in a mix of things (salad, egg, cookies, sandwich, etc) if I run out of time though.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Welcome Salty. I generally take a salad for lunch with some fruit to snack on. I also occasionally take left overs. I don't ever cook anything special for lunch.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Making lunch for school

Welcome to DC! If you like to cook, on the weekend when you're not too busy, make up a pot of chili, some split pea soup with ham, beef barley soup, you get the idea. These all freeze well. Before you go work out, nuke a portion and put it in your thermal lunchbag, along with some carrot and celery sticks and ranch dip, maybe some cheese and crackers, a sliced apple, and a cookie or a pudding cup.

I also like what I call salad in a bag. A mix of greens, frozen peas, cottage cheese, maybe ham, bacon bits or chicken, sunflower seeds, raisins, whatever other veggie you might have, and dressing. All in a ziplock. Croutons in a separate bag. You could do the same thing in a mason jar.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC! If you like to cook, on the weekend when you're not too busy, make up a pot of chili, some split pea soup with ham, beef barley soup, you get the idea. These all freeze well. Before you go work out, nuke a portion and put it in your thermal lunchbag, along with some carrot and celery sticks and ranch dip, maybe some cheese and crackers, a sliced apple, and a cookie or a pudding cup.

I also like what I call salad in a bag. A mix of greens, frozen peas, cottage cheese, maybe ham, bacon bits or chicken, sunflower seeds, raisins, whatever other veggie you might have, and dressing. All in a ziplock. Croutons in a separate bag. You could do the same thing in a mason jar.
I see. I will consider that for some of my future lunches, thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #7
Master Chef

This is a great, easy, inexpensive, college survival dish that you can whip up for yourself or your family and take to school for lunch. You can change up the ingredients to make your own version, use spaghetti sauce instead of tomatoes, Italian sausage or ground turkey instead of ground beef, add mushrooms, etc...

Recipe for American Chop Suey
Old 02-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

mm yum
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

In college, I cooked a lot of Minute Rice with Velveeta, ramen noodles, and spaghetti with meat sauce. These also made for good leftovers, but probably not the healthiest choices.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
In college, I cooked a lot of Minute Rice with Velveeta, ramen noodles, and spaghetti with meat sauce. These also made for good leftovers, but probably not the healthiest choices.
Minute rice with a pat of margarine and some brown sugar used to be breakfast!

Tags
lunch