Making Mac 'n Cheese same way as Alfredo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
The way you make fettuccine alfredo is
1. heat up butter and heavy cream
2. cook pasta
3. place shredded parmisan in a bowl
4. pour hot cream mixture on to the cheese and let rest
5. pour in hot pasta
6. place more cheese on top
7. stir and the sauce will thicken

I'm thinking if mac n cheese can be cooked the same way without having to bake it?
1. heat up butter and milk (no heavy cream at home, but cheddar melts better than parmisan so milk should be fine)
2. cook pasta
3. place shredded cheddar in a bowl
4. pour hot milk mixture on to the cheese and let rest
5. pour in hot pasta

I have seen many recipes online calling for flour to make a roux, but I don't think it's necessary right?

I never use flour or a roux for mac & cheese. I melt the cheese in some milk or a cream of chicken (or celery) soup. The only reason that I bake it afterwards is to get some crunch to the top.

The way you make fettuccine alfredo is
1. heat up butter and heavy cream
2. cook pasta
3. place shredded parmisan in a bowl
4. pour hot cream mixture on to the cheese and let rest
5. pour in hot pasta

I have seen many recipes online calling for flour to make a roux, but I don't think it's necessary right?

That's not the normal way to make Fettuccine Alfredo.

The butter, cream and Parmesan cheese are all heated up and thickened together in a pot or deep skillet before adding the cooked pasta which is then lightly tossed, usually with a pair of tongs, not stirred, which may break up the pasta. The person being served can then add more Parmesan cheese if they choose.

Sometimes I'll even add a little pasta water before adding the sauce.

As for your Mac & Cheese, it may take more than just pre-heated milk to melt your cheddar. You will will probably have to add it to the pot while heating the milk and butter. Cheddar has a higher melting point than Parmesan, and I think you'll need more cheddar than the amount of Parmesan you used for the Alfredo for the same volume of milk.

Even though I could, I don't make a roux. I do, however, use a cheese blend of cheddar, Pepper Jack, and Colby - but that's just personal taste.

That's not the normal way to make Fettuccine Alfredo.

The butter, cream and Parmesan cheese are all heated up and thickened together in a pot or deep skillet before adding the cooked pasta which is then lightly tossed, usually with a pair of tongs, not stirred, which may break up the pasta. The person being served can then add more Parmesan cheese if they choose.

Sometimes I'll even add a little pasta water before adding the sauce.

As for your Mac & Cheese, it may take more than just pre-heated milk to melt your cheddar. You will will probably have to add it to the pot while heating the milk and butter. Cheddar has a higher melting point than Parmesan, and I think you'll need more cheddar than the amount of Parmesan you used for the Alfredo for the same volume of milk.

Even though I could, I don't make a roux. I do, however, use a cheese blend of cheddar, Pepper Jack, and Colby - but that's just personal taste.

it is the way they do it in the restaurant. they keep everything separate, and finish cooking on the table right in front of you

Last edited:
That's not the way I make alfredo either, but if it is a method you are used to, it's worth a try to see if it works for your mac & cheese.

I never make a roux for my macNcheese. I cook the noodles. While they're cooking, I shred the cheeses (I use whatever I've got Cheddar, American, Cream cheese, Swiss Provolone, Colby Jack,) When the noodles are done I drain them then add butter and milk to the pot with the noodles in the colander. Melt butter and warm milk, add cheeses and get them mostly melted then add the noodles back in and stir until everything is melted and well mixed. I can adjust the milk and cheese consistency then and add more milk or cheese as needed. I do always use cream cheese since I find it gives it that creamy texture we like. I don't bake it at all.

I tried his baked mac n cheese before lol but I don't like having onion in it... just doesn't taste cheesy enough

Actually, the sauce for Fettuccine Alfredo is stirred into the hot pasta after it is cooked. Italians say it is not really a sauce, because it is not made separately. And you cannot buy the sauce in a jar. (You CAN buy A sauce CALLED "Alfredo Sauce," but really, there is no such thing.)

Baked Macaroni and Cheese traditionally does start with a roux, and becomes either a bechamel or a veloute, depending on whether you use milk (bechamel) or chicken stock (veloute) before stirring in some grated cheese.

Actually, the sauce for Fettuccine Alfredo is stirred into the hot pasta after it is cooked. Italians say it is not really a sauce, because it is not made separately. And you cannot buy the sauce in a jar. (You CAN buy A sauce CALLED "Alfredo Sauce," but really, there is no such thing.)

Baked Macaroni and Cheese traditionally does start with a roux, and becomes either a bechamel or a veloute, depending on whether you use milk (bechamel) or chicken stock (veloute) before stirring in some grated cheese.
That's with the Onion dotted with Cloves correct ChefJune?

To answer your question, yes it will work. Use the sharpest cheddar you can find, and grate it with the smallest holes on your grater. That will make it easier to melt into the pasta. Also, using an easy melting cheese, like butterkase, or fontina will help make the mac & cheese more creamy. Adding finely grated mozarella or provolone with give it some stretch, if you like strings of cheese stretching from your fork.

Also, a little Parmesano Regiano, or Asiago will add a little salty bite to the dish. And if you like it, by all means, add a little American cheese, or Velveeta, again to mkae it more creamy.

I disagree with cooking it after the cheese is added as you can easily overheat the dish, causing the integrated sauce to break and become clumpy.

Using a roux or not is completely up to you. I've made mac & cheese both with and without a roux. Both taste great, depending on my mood.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

At which point it becomes a mornay sauce (although I am not sure veloute technically becomes mornay with cheese added).

Make sure you add the cheese OFF the heat. Heat is cheese's enemy. It can make your sauce grainy and/or clumpy.

ok I'll use a roux, because I think the starch in the roux will help prevent the cheese from clumping together. I'll add the cheese to the roux after turning the heat off, and then add pasta

Back
Top Bottom