Making sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strahan

Assistant Cook
Sorry if this is the wrong area, wasn't sure where to put it. I recently learned how to make wings and I love it! I want to experiment now with making alternative flavors. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and had some wings and they have all sorts of cool flavors. I went to the supermarket and picked up a bunch of McCormick spice shakers. I was wondering though.. at BWW the flavor is in a sauce - the wings are wet. How do I make a sauce based on a powdered spice? Is there some generic suspension to use to mix the flavoring into? I'm making a bunch of test wings now but just doing a "dry rub", I figured I'd try that first since I don't know the "wet" method yet.

each sauce is a little different. you can start with dry ingredients, but you'll need to add different wet ingredients for the various sauces to make them a "sauce". many use bottled sauces (such as hot sauce or bbq sauce) as a base, plus the extra dry ingredients. some add honey, or vinegar, or tomato sauce as a base.

the original buffalo style wings are sauced with a mixture of frank's hot sauce into which butter is melted, and extra hot spices are added to kick it up to hotter levels.

you can make your own hot sauce or bbq sauce if you'd like. just do a search on those.

sticky wings usually have honey or a simple syrup added to the sauce to make them sticky.

asian flavoured wings simply use asian spices (such as garlic, ginger, 5 spice powder, etc) and sesame oil plus some kind of thickening agent like arrowroot or cornstarch.

it all depends on what sauces you want to make.

I think there is usually some oil in it, the honey Bucky mentioned would be an additition...
with pure honey it would be to sweet - for me :cool:

I do my wings "naked" in the deep fryer. Depending on my mood, I may dry rub them or wet marinade them first. If you wet marinade, you have to dry them well before frying. My quick, go to sauce is Crystal hot sauce and butter. The wings get tossed in the sauce and extra is served on the side.

The Chew had a wing cookoff between Mario and Daphne recently. You can probably search the recipes on line. Mario deep fried his wings, Daphne did hers in the oven and added the sauce.

Sorry if this is the wrong area, wasn't sure where to put it. I recently learned how to make wings and I love it! I want to experiment now with making alternative flavors. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and had some wings and they have all sorts of cool flavors. I went to the supermarket and picked up a bunch of McCormick spice shakers. I was wondering though.. at BWW the flavor is in a sauce - the wings are wet. How do I make a sauce based on a powdered spice? Is there some generic suspension to use to mix the flavoring into? I'm making a bunch of test wings now but just doing a "dry rub", I figured I'd try that first since I don't know the "wet" method yet.

I sprinkle my wings with fennel seeds and sometimes add a little curry. They are delicious this way but again I may add a home made apricot sauce to serve.

BWW just fries, and tosses. 90% of their sauces come pre-made, in a bottle, and you can ore than likely find those same sauce at the local grocer. Also, they just straight up fry them, which, if seasoned before hand will just come off for the most part, and any marinade might degrade the oil faster.

A lot of the "30min Marinades" can be used as sauces. A lot of the Lawyers "marinades" can be used as sauces. Green Mountain (I think that's the brand) does everything from a wet jerk, to a Hawaiian soy that are actually pretty darn good right out of the bottle.

As BuckyTom mentioned, the original base is butter and hot sauce. If you melt butter over low heat, keep it moving so it doesn't break, you can add almost anything from dry jerk seasoning to just garlic, celery salt, some rosemary, toss the wings and dust with Parm cheese. Even dry ranch dressing powder mix makes a good wing flavor, just use enough butter to get it all wet, toss and enjoy. . . or grill your wings and season with the powder like you would with s+p.

You can also get a butter alternative, Whirl, that is shelf stable, won't ever break, and is used in a LOT of wing places in place of butter (due to cost).

You can do wings a million and six different ways, my personal fave is:
Sweet Thai Chili sauce, mix in a little rice wine vinegar, a little fish sauce, chopped cilantro and soy. No heat. just mix it up to taste and toss your fried wings.

If you have a NuWave oven, you can cook the with the dry rub or even the sauce on them. I do this method over deep frying now to save on eating all that fat. I don't even like wings deep fried anymore since I started using the oven for them.

I make two different sauces for flavored wings, one is homemade parm pepper & the other one is ranch but it's only the seasoning packet with melted butter and vinegar. For the hot wings I either use straight Red Hot or a product called Wing Time

did some wings over the weekend in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or you could use foil sprayed with cooking spray along with salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little cayenne pepper. when they were 1/2 way done I started basting them with apricot jam mixed with a little soy sauce. they came out really tasty.

I make my wet sauces using a little olive oil to create a paste. Just add your spices to a bowl (I use garlic powder, allspice, cracked black pepper and chilli flakes) Add in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and mix well - you can judge by eye how much olive oil you will need and it depends on how wet you want the paste. Drizzle over your wings, the oil will make them go nice and crispy!

If it's a thicker sauce you're after try using tomato puree instead of oil and add in your spices, tastes delicious!

Back
Top Bottom