Making sweet potato fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jared_mizanin

Assistant Cook
At the bar/restaurant I work at, we have tried to serve sweet potato fries. For reasons pertaining to cost, we bought our own sweet potatoes are tried to make them from scratch. But the store-bought frozen variety is muuuuuch better.

With our homemade fries, they were made the only way we know how; we slice them then pre-cook them in oil for a few minutes, let them drain, and then store them (i.e. cooler or freezer) until ready to use. But they are often soggy/gross.

How do companies that make fries (especially sweet potato fries) do it??

I need to try these! How to impress friends?? (Well...actually I made these myself-not the frozen ones...:chef:) Yes...with sweet potatoes on sale for Thanksgiving I will try this. Thanks.

I wouldn't pre cook. Slice them fresh daily. Keep a couple batches at a time soaking in salt water til needed. Remove from water and press with a hand tall to remove excess moisture then fry. Sprinkle with salt & paprika and serve (can also season with cinnamon, cayenne pepper or garlic for different twists)

When I was doing demos for Kitchen Aid ovens, I used to make baked sweet potato fries. I started from scratch and made julienne strips, nice and thick. No soaking. Once on the sheet pan I sprayed them with olive oil from a misto and sprinkled the seasonings on. Baked at 400 degrees (convection) for about 20 minutes, turning once. Really tasty.

Good point by June. I have baked these also. They are more 'fluffy' and less crispy but healthier, still very tasty though. I've been meaning to get a misto, as I had to brush my oil on.

Back
Top Bottom