Making your own lunchmeats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you take an eye of round, and pickle it in a Corned Beef brine, it makes an outstanding Corned Beef for sandwiches. You only need to slice it thin.

Another home-made lunch meat I've made that was very tasty, is this:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. lean pork
1 large yellow onion, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tbs. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1/ tsp. ground sage
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1 large egg

Combine the herbs and spices, garlic and onion together.
Spread the butter all over the sides and bottom of a bread loaf pan. Slice the meat into thin strips. Put the meats in separate bowls. Beat the egg and divide it equally between the two bowls of meat. Stir the bowls of pork, and chicken to coat with the beaten egg. Place a layer of the chicken on the bottom. Place a layer of pork on the pan sides. The butter will cause it to stick. Sprinkle with herb/spice/salt mixture. Place a layer of pork on top of the chicken layer and sprinkle more herb/spice mixture. Alternate the layers of chicken and pork, with herbs and spices between each layer until the pan is full. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in a 375'F oven for 35 minutes. Take off the foil. bake for 20 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes, then refrigerate. Slice cold into luncheon meat slices.

You can use this techique to make a host of terrines, and meat loaves. Use pork and lamb, or beef and pork, or goat and duck, or... Get the idea?

Pull out that creative bit of brain and make up something great, then give me the recipe.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What great ideas!

Kayelle, I'll check out Steve's recipe. I'll also share that the Anova sous vide has been used far more than we thought it would be. The meats from it are simply delicious!

MC, I am really picky about hams and I LOVE bacon. So I am intrigued by what you did in salting them. Is there a link or could you elaborate?

CWS, add lettuce wraps! With the right filling, they are better than sandwiches! I saw that link. Before I run there, I want to know about Aunt Bea's bologna...or pickle/olive loaf!

GG, I'm standing in line with you for the rollmops!

StormyNight, I had a pony with your name. :) Yes, she was born on a stormy night. :) I cannot wait to hear what kind of lunch meat you try!

My update on the turkey breast is this:
When I make it again, I won't slice up so much at one time because I believe that we compromised the quality as air could reach the meat faster by slicing up too much.

I will make it again. The meat is moist, delicious, and tender. Plus, no tummy-crummies.

~Kathleen

Kathleen, I do lettuce wraps and rice wraps (with veggies). The bologna is what we used to make using ground venison. We called it "summer sausage." It could be made with ground turkey, beef, chicken, or pork. We cooked ours still wrapped in the foil...

CSW, I use rice wraps for summer rolls. SO good. I'll bet summer sausage would be awesome with venison.

Chief, terrines are a terrific idea. Also, I have an extra eye of round - perhaps corned beef...hmmm. :yum:

Deli-Roast Beef

This week, I used the basics from this website to make a deli-style roast beef. As the website pointed out, roast beef at home is a lot cheaper and, since I am making my own spice mix, I control what goes into it.

By making my own, I got the eye of round for $3.49/lb. compared to the store brand deli roast beef at $9.99/lb. Total prep time + cooking was 65 minutes!

I used rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, and black/red peppers with a bit of salt as my rub. Like on the website above, I started the roast at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes to turn down 300 degrees Fahrenheit for another 30 minutes. It's tented now to rest.

Here is a picture pre and post-oven. By the temperature, I am hoping for a rosy center and will post again when it is sliced.

Lunches this week will be roast beef sandwiches on homemade bread with fresh cantaloupe and refrigerator pickles as sides. I wish I had ripe tomatoes in the garden, but think it will take another week.

~Kathleen

Attachments

• Pre-Roast Beef.jpg
    Pre-Roast Beef.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Post-Roast Beef.jpg
    Post-Roast Beef.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 232
Ask and receive, PF!

Before cutting the roast, it was cooled and then refrigerated.

Here are pictures of the cut roast and also slices. It's juicy, tender, and I so cannot wait for lunch tomorrow!

I'm glad that I added the rosemary. I didn't add much, but it gives the beef a wonderful flavor that blended well with the black pepper and onion/garlic powders.

~Kathleen

Attachments

• Halved Roast Beef.jpg
    Halved Roast Beef.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Sliced Roast Beef.jpg
    Sliced Roast Beef.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 226
Ask and receive, PF!

Before cutting the roast, it was cooled and then refrigerated.

Here are pictures of the cut roast and also slices. It's juicy, tender, and I so cannot wait for lunch tomorrow!

I'm glad that I added the rosemary. I didn't add much, but it gives the beef a wonderful flavor that blended well with the black pepper and onion/garlic powders.

~Kathleen

This is one of the things my sister and I occasionally request from Dad. He does them on the grill and it's just so good.

I am so going to do that one. I know I have a slicer somewhere around here.

My slicer is new! I have wanted one for some time now, and just got it for my birthday.

This is one of the things my sister and I occasionally request from Dad. He does them on the grill and it's just so good.

I never knew how easy it would be. SO good!

My grandpa used to have sliced roast beef in the fridge just ready to be made into sandwiches. He sliced the beef with a sharp knife. I remembered that and did it for myself, many years back. I usually slice it with a knife as well, even though I have a slicer. It's a personal challenge thing, to get the slices uniform, and thin enough.

When PAG And Sprout moved out of the house, I made the same thing for them, first as a gift, then, when they request it, and I'm going down to see them, or they're coming up to see us. I so enjoy making my girls happy. I love being a dad, even when they roll their eyes at me.:LOL:

For my sons, it's jerky that they love. I make that for them.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

One of our favorites was beef or venison heart...cooked in the pressure cooker with pickling spices...oh, I want some beef heart for a sandwich!

I love heart and tongue! I've not had heart in years. Tongue is becoming more common in several Mexican restaurants around here. One place near my job does it right!

Thank you both for the comments and suggestions. I've been using leftovers, making salads, cooking meatloaves, etc. for decades. I've also been brown-bagging it for over 30 years. Ridding myself of a sandwich option pretty much rids myself of lunch on many days. (I can cut a sandwich in two bite pieces and eat it while I work - which is my only option on many days.)

I'm specifically seeking how to make deli-style lunch meats, and the turkey turned out good. To make it more deli-like, I would need a slicer - though the thinly carved pieces were delicious. I'm considering a rare roast beef next. :)

I doubt that I would have thought to make my own except that deli-purchased meats have caused some queasiness, and I believe it is because of the high salts and preservatives found in some products even when purchased from different sources.

Today, I have my turkey on homemade honey-oat bread with mayo, avocado, and I added bacon. :yum:

~Kathleen

I have a meat slicer, not a walmart junk special either. This is one like you would find in any deli. Bought it years ago for $350 CDN. I also have a Meat Grinder, sausage stuffer and 30 inch MES smoker I have made many lunch meat/deli style things. I make Summer Sausage, Bologna (That involves my Food Processor also). SmokersMeat Forum has much info on doing these types of meats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom