Making your own vanilla?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I could ask a question here. This idea of making vanilla is intriguing to me but does anyone know how to make vanilla w/o alcohol? Health food stores sell alcohol free versions using, I think, glycerin but they cost a small fortune. I have liver issues and should stay away from all alcohol. I know it cooks out of the food, but sometimes I put it in my smoothies.....and that doesn't get cooked. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can't believe how cheap they are! They usually cost about $5-7 for just two here. :(

Oh, the things I could try with beans to spare.

Just to let you know...I ordered from them and their service was wonderful. I placed my order on Sat 9-8 and by Fri 9-14 I had my beans.

I ordered 1/2 pound of the Tahitian Vanilla Beans for $15.50...they ship UPS so with the shipping added in the total cost for 1/2 pound of beans was $24.79

If I could ask a question here. This idea of making vanilla is intriguing to me but does anyone know how to make vanilla w/o alcohol? Health food stores sell alcohol free versions using, I think, glycerin but they cost a small fortune. I have liver issues and should stay away from all alcohol. I know it cooks out of the food, but sometimes I put it in my smoothies.....and that doesn't get cooked. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can learn almost anything in the world on the Internet if you take the time to do the research. Good Luck!!

Yes to all the above. I've used vodka and I've used brandy, and I prefer the flavor of the brandy. I cut my vanilla beans in small pieces and drop them right into the brandy bottle and leave them in. I've used it as quickly as a month later. I wouldn't add more brandy as what's there is used, unless I added more vanilla bean too. I do shake the bottle before using in recipes, I like the little vanilla flecks.

I've been doing this for years and I wouldn't use anything else. I heard that some of the Mexican vanilla that can be bought so cheap has something in it that's actually a poison. I don't know if this is true though and I never researched it because I never buy any form of vanilla other than the bean.

You can learn almost anything in the world on the Internet if you take the time to do the research. Good Luck!!

I went to ask.com w/o luck and also googled, again w/o luck. Does anyone recommend any other websites or search engines? I'd appreciate it!

Yes to all the above. I've used vodka and I've used brandy, and I prefer the flavor of the brandy. I cut my vanilla beans in small pieces and drop them right into the brandy bottle and leave them in. I've used it as quickly as a month later. I wouldn't add more brandy as what's there is used, unless I added more vanilla bean too. I do shake the bottle before using in recipes, I like the little vanilla flecks.

I've been doing this for years and I wouldn't use anything else. I heard that some of the Mexican vanilla that can be bought so cheap has something in it that's actually a poison. I don't know if this is true though and I never researched it because I never buy any form of vanilla other than the bean.
I've also seen it done in bourbon. Haven't tried anything except
vodka, think I will try it and see......

There is a place on ebay that sells different kinds of vanilla beans and also has procedure for making vanilla. Several of my cooking friends have bought from them and have been very satisfied as to quality and price.

I went to ask.com w/o luck and also googled, again w/o luck. Does anyone recommend any other websites or search engines? I'd appreciate it!

Read this article.
(Not Just) Plain Vanilla by Victoria Wesseler for CDKitchen.com

It seems that there is no such thing as alcohol free vanilla extract. Even the so-called alcohol free vanilla has trace amounts of alcohol in it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also read this and find this information at the bottom of the page.

Real vanilla/almond "extract", minus the alcohol content? | Ask MetaFilter

You can "distill" off essentially all of the alcohol in other extracts (e.g. almond) by adding the extract to a warm substance (say, some larger volume of non-alcoholic liquid, or a melted sugar) and letting it sit at hot, but not boiling temperature for an extended period of time (I think at least 30 minutes should do it). This will evaporate off a lot of the alcohol.
posted by rxrfrx at 3:36 PM on August 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And this article, if you will look at method number 3. If you heat the vodka to just below boiling add the vanilla beans and then keep the liquid just below the boiling point for a period of time...say the above mentioned 30 minutes I you will distill most of the alcohol out of the liquid.

Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be sure to always remember that alcohol is flammable!!!! If you are heating it on the stove the vapors that are escaping from the liquid are VERY flammable so you will need to take great care not to ignite the vapors but always be ready with a fire extinguisher just in case.

BettyR - you are a real peach! Thank you for that info. I will check into it. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Back
Top Bottom