"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Butter is, I believe, 60 calories/tbsp.
I WISH! Try 100 calories per tablespoon of butter.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
YIKES is right!.....Butter is, I believe, 60 calories/tbsp. I usually put a pat or two on top of my 2 pancake stack BEFORE I start pouring on the syrup.
I don't eat pancakes very often, but thanks to dear friend Kadesma, my husband has learned how to make fantastic French toast.
101 calories in a tablespoon of butter. Sorry.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
shamalicious, would using some maple extract and one tablespoon of Splenda help at all?
I havent tried that.. i dont think it would taste quite the same though would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
We could also get technical and talk about it being easier to burn off simple sugars vs complex ones and do the whole glycemic index thing, but really Shamalicious, a couple tbsps of maple syrup a day isn't going to kill you as long as you don't overdo with everything else in your diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Well, it's not exactly good for the waist-line, but it has its good points. So for those of us who are addicted to it, and by way of pointing out that there's always an upside as well as a downside. So we can feel virtuous if you use it!!

Maple: Spring sap syrup is taken as a liver tonic, a kidney cleanser and a cough syrup. A tea of the inner bark is taken for coughs or diarrhoea and is diuretic, expectorant and a blood purifier. A compound infusion of the bark has been used as drops in treating blindness. The sap has been used for treating sore eyes. Maple syrup is used in cough syrups and is also said to be a liver tonic and kidney cleanser.

Thank you alix and daisy! If nothing else, at least i wont feel too guilty! lol
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #24
Head Chef

Our friends, a couple from Vancouver, are here visiting and they gave us among other things, a bottle of CAMP 100% pure maple syrup. It's from Plessisville, Canada. I can only assume this maple syrup is the good kind. (I haven't opened it yet). I don't ever make pancakes nor french toast so I'm not sure what to use it for aside from substituting it for sugar in some things...

But if the Canadians here in DC tell me this is the excellent kind of maple syrup, I'd start making pancakes just to consume this product!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

If it's 100% pure, it probably is fine.

Maple surup is graded and marked on the label. Some of the grades are Grade A Fancy, Grade B Amber, Grade B Dark Amber, and others. The Grade A syrups are lighter in color and taste while the Bs are darker and richer in maple flavor. I prefer the Grade B syrups for their flavor. The grades ar flavor grades not quality grades.

Actually, I can't recall ever having pure maple syrup that wasn't delicious. Also can't imagine that friends would bring you a crappy gift!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
Everymom

Camp's is good. You'll like it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

i would bathe in maple syrup if i could.

we always pick up a bottle or three, of different grades, on our trips to ny and vermont in the fall and winter.

there's nothing better on an off day of a skiing trip than finding a little out of the way sugar shack, and tasting local artisan cheeses and syrups.

you pay the guy in back with the steamy horn-rimmed glasses...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

It's not worth worrying about in my opinion--IF it is real maple syrup. If it isn't, then it isn't worth your time!!
Unless you are eating a lot of other sweets and desserts, etc.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #29
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Our friends, a couple from Vancouver, are here visiting and they gave us among other things, a bottle of CAMP 100% pure maple syrup. It's from Plessisville, Canada.
In Canada you can't SAY it is 100% pure without that actually being the case. You can be sure it is what the label says it is.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

do they sell "dove" soap in canada?

they'd need another 56/100th's, i guess.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote