"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Maple Syrup

How unhealthy is maple syrup? Im quite addicted at the moment, i have about 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup in a glass of milk every day! lol I wanted to know whether i should cut down, n if i can expect for my clothes to be getting tighter!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMALICIOUS
How unhealthy is maple syrup? Im quite addicted at the moment, i have about 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup in a glass of milk every day! lol I wanted to know whether i should cut down, n if i can expect for my clothes to be getting tighter!
I think 3 tbsps a day is fine (unless you are diabetic) the stuff is basically just sugar. Mmmmmmmmmmm, I LOVE maple syrup.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've never thought about it, but I probably only have it once a month. Love the stuff!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I doubt it's a problem unless you have diabetes or are trying to lose weight -- maple syrup is loaded with sugar and calories.

A quarter cup (4 tablespoons) of pure maple syrup (60mL) has 53 grams of carbs, which are all sugars, and 200 calories. That translates to 13.25 grams of sugar and 50 calories per tablespoon, or about 40 grams of sugar carbs and 150 calories in your daily dose of 3 tablespoons.

That may not sound like a lot, but 150 extra calories per day will add one pound of fat to your body every three weeks, or about 16 pounds per year, assuming you don't cut back on your intake of other foods.

BTW, I've been a big fan of Trader Joe's since about 1970. One of my favorite things from TJ's is their Canadian Maple Syrup, about $4 for a 12.5 ounce bottle of Grade A. Beats the heck out of those gawdawful "artificial maple flavor" pancake syrups sold in the supermarket.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
...I've been a big fan of Trader Joe's since about 1970. One of my favorite things from TJ's is their Canadian Maple Syrup, about $4 for a 12.5 ounce bottle of Grade A. Beats the heck out of those gawdawful "artificial maple flavor" pancake syrups sold in the supermarket.
There are a few different flavors of 'Grade A'. I prefer the Grade A Dark Amber for its richer Maple flavor... Grade B is good for that, too.

Z
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Oh My! I love Maple syrup and maple flavored desserts (think pound cake, and mousse!) For years I've refused to order pancakes in any restaurant that doesn't serve real maple syrup because I can't abide that flavored corn syrup.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
MMmm mapleeeee syyyrrrupp its the canadian in me what can i say!

But make sure its REAL maple syurp NOT Pancake syrup or Aunt Jemima..
Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks for your replies everyone

Alix - If the stuff is basically sugar, it cannot be too good for the waistline, lol. .

Fryboy - I think i shall have to cut down either the amount of tablespoons, or the amount of times i have it! Its going to be difficult, to say the least lol
Old 09-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Everymom

Three tbsps is easy to wear off though. Run up and down some stairs, do a couple loads of laundry...TA DA!!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

shamalicious, would using some maple extract and one tablespoon of Splenda help at all?