"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 46
Once maple syrup has gotten mold - it is to be THROWN OUT. Surface mold is only a 'showing' of the mold that is throughout the syrup (same with bread and jam etc.)

This has been documented in many places - and - yes - it contradicts what your mother or grandmother used to do - skim off the mold -

An Important Message About Jam & Jelly Making - Home Cooking

The only safe visible mold is on dairy products - the jury is still out re meat and the mold that abounds in the ageing process (or if anyone has any fresh (pun) input on this - ?)

jpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
CWS4322's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,820
As s/one who harvests sap and evaps it, I wholeheartedly agree that moldy syrup is not something to try and fix. The cause could be a number of things, including that it wasn't stored in the fridge after being opened. But, the problem could also have been the conditions underwhich the sap was collected and stored before it was evap'd, maybe the heat dropped while evapping dropped and the sap was left unattended for too long, the sugar content was off, or that maybe there was some silver maple sap mixed in--silver maple sap's ratio is 60:1, whereas sugar maple is 40-44:1. I know it is expensive, but better safe than sorry. My father has over evap'd sap and has had crystals form in his syrup, but, no mold or scum on the top.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,609
We had a lovely bottle of MS in the fridge. One day, DH freaked and pointed out this huge clump of white mold in the bottle. When I dug it out, it turned out it was a piece of the peel off cover. No mold at all.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
buckytom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 20,489
lol, dawg. he was assuredly protecting you, that's all. it's in our genes.

"Thunderbolt and lightening,
very, very frightening me!" Galileo
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.