Marinades - do you pat the meat dry before grilling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL sorry vagriller. Let me try to redeem myself. A dry brine is one of the easiest ways to get flavor into your meat. Here is how it is done. It is going to sound a little counter intuitive and will go against what you have have been taught about before, but stick with me and by the end you will be a believer.

To dry brine, take your meat (I have only ever done it with steak) and liberally coat it on both sides with salt. Use a little more than you think you should. Now wrap the meat tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Now I am sure at this point you are thinking that does not make sense because the salt will draw moisture out of the steak. Well that is correct and that would be a bad thing if we cooked the meat right away. Because we are letting it sit longer a little bit of magic happens. The juices do get drawn out, but then they mix with and dissolve the salt and then because of osmosis those salty juices are sucked back into the meat. The end result is that the meat is now seasoned with the salty meat juices from the inside out, as opposed to just being seasoned on the surface. Your steak will be full of flavor and juice. Try it and see what you think.

GB; Kosher meat is made by a dry-brining method, sort of. Kosher salt is used as its shape creates more sruface area with which to draw the moisture from the meat.

I can see just from what you've posted, that the method you use makes sense. Salt packing is a valid way to cook many roasts as well. Also, real smoked hams are packed in salt for an extended time before smoking and are extremely salty, so much so that they have to be boiled to remove some of the salt before the meat can be eaten.

I wonder if kosher salt miht decreae teh amount of time required to treat the meat. In any case, thanks for the tip.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom