"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Tom mate I can never forget about enzymes, I have nightmares every since my wife washed my bill grundies in biological washing powder and the machine did not rinse them properly, I got this rash that made my....................

Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i wish i didn't read that...

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
don't forget about enzymes in marinades, both dairy and fruit. depending on the protein, if you let it go to long you'll get mush. i've marinated pork and lean beef until they had the consistency of soft liver, and not in a good way.

it still was eaten, though ( pac, i'm surprised your ridgebacks didn't get the mistakes) but then i was on a munchy bender and hot sauce cures all....
I'm more careful about what I feed the poochies than myself
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #14
Master Chef

One recipe I had for bulgogi (or was it kal bi) is one that actually had sugar as the first part of the marinade and it did over-tenderize to the point where the meat was mushy. So now I just do it over night. Since they are very thin slices of beef over night seems about right.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
One recipe I had for bulgogi (or was it kal bi) is one that actually had sugar as the first part of the marinade and it did over-tenderize to the point where the meat was mushy. So now I just do it over night. Since they are very thin slices of beef over night seems about right.
Kalbi (galbi) means rib in Korean and is generally short ribs on the bone.

I agree about loads of sugar in the marinade.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Executive Chef

If you are using tenderloin, I wouldn't go that length of time. Sirlion would probably be fine.

Craig
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

Yeah, I know the difference between kal bi and bulgogi, just can't remember which I turned to mush with too much sugar for too long. And I can't even begin to say how many spellings I've seen for both! Oh, now I've done it, I want both and chop chae and yaki mandoo, and there isn't a Korean restaurant within a 2 hour drive and do I really want to do all that cooking?

the other thing I ruined by marinading too long was something Indian (don't remember what; just that it was a chicken dish) and there was yogurt. While my messed up Korean dish was still edible, the yogurt ate the chicken so much it was unrecognizable!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you are using tenderloin, I wouldn't go that length of time. Sirlion would probably be fine.

Craig
If you buy your red meat at a grocery, I am sure that is good advice. But tenderloin is what I have, so tenderloin is what I use. I have either ground meat, or tenderloin, in the freezer. We used to do our own butchering, and those are my preferred cuts.

The recipe I use is called Korean Style Chevon and uses a bulgogi type marinade. The recipe calls for the meat to be cut into one inch cubes. The main ingredient in the marinade is soy sauce. I usually cut up two pounds of meat and grill it up in batches. The last batch is in the marinade at least three days. This recipe can also be used for kabobs.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like to marinate beef liver in milk for about 15 minutes to tenderize. However, I once let it go for an hour - liquid liver!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Cook

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it better than starting a new one.

I meant to make cuban pork chops last night but did not so they have been marinating in orange juice, lime juice and vinegar for nearly 24 hours. Do you all think it is safe to cook? I don't mind if the texture is different, just whether it is healthy.