Marinating for more than 24 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love2cook11 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it better than starting a new one.

I meant to make cuban pork chops last night but did not so they have been marinating in orange juice, lime juice and vinegar for nearly 24 hours. Do you all think it is safe to cook? I don't mind if the texture is different, just whether it is healthy.

Should be fine if they were in the fridge. They will probably be a bit mushy. If they were sitting on the countertop, I don't think I would use them.

Yes they've been in the fridge the whole time. Thank you so much, i was looking around and getting mixed results online. I don't mind a little tougher meat (it's my own fault) and I'm hoping it won't be too tough.

Love2cook11 said:
Yes they've been in the fridge the whole time. Thank you so much, i was looking around and getting mixed results online. I don't mind a little tougher meat (it's my own fault) and I'm hoping it won't be too tough.

With all that acid, they probably won't be tough!

Just the opposite. With an acidic marinade like that, you will usually get a very soft, and often unpleasant texture, or maybe I should say lack of texture.

I meant to make cuban pork chops last night but did not so they have been marinating in orange juice, lime juice and vinegar for nearly 24 hours. Do you all think it is safe to cook? I don't mind if the texture is different, just whether it is healthy.

Well, did you cook it? Was the texture okay?:chef:

On this subject. I usually marinade with wine. The sulfates in wine I think act like brine but slower. A good Chardonnay dry does the trick. I do my turkey like that too over 5 days with some added citrus rubbing (kiwi). Thoughts?

I marinade thick slices of butt pork for 6 days in evoo, lemon juice, oregano.I then grill medium rare on the bbq, it eats like rib eye.:)

If it's been refrigerated there's no reason it wouldn't be safe to cook and eat.
I marinate pork in Goya's Mojo Criollo for that length of time often.

Back
Top Bottom