Marinating for more than 24 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thenamesdave

Assistant Cook
Hey, guys.

I recently saw a recipe for beef bourguignon that called for the meat to marinate for 48 hours... but it seems to be this would alter the texture of the meat too much to be edible.

Under what circumstances, if ever, would you marinate anything (and what?) for more than 24 hours?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I probably wouldn't go that far, I think overnight is enough. Since the marinade is probably red wine, it wouldn't be much of a problem, I don't think. But if a marinade includes yogurt, do not chance it. I had yogurt eat a bunch of lamb once. Literally. Turned it to mush. And sugar can do the same thing. I really think over night is plenty.

sauerbraten comes to mind . . .
corned beef..

"overnight" is a fairly common direction. bu I think it also depends on the type of marinade and it's "strength"

I agree with dc. I make a Pinoy Pork BBQ recipe that calls for at least 24 hours and up to 48. And the marinade's flavor really sinks in at 48. The texture of the pork seems to be unaffected, both in its raw state and cooked. And I have marinated fish a tad to long and pretty much cooked it right there in the marinade. It was tough to say the least and did not get eaten. It really depends on your marinades and meats.

Hey, guys.

I recently saw a recipe for beef bourguignon that called for the meat to marinate for 48 hours... but it seems to be this would alter the texture of the meat too much to be edible.

Under what circumstances, if ever, would you marinate anything (and what?) for more than 24 hours?

When the recipe calls for it:):chef:.

I regularly make a Korean Chevon dish, bulgogi, that calls for marinating up to 36 hours. I have used chevon and beef tenderloin for this, and it is delicious.

Low acidic marinades can be used for 48 hours but anything with a high acid level will cook any protein. Lemon juice, strong wines and vinegars are best when used for short marinades.

Hey, guys.

I recently saw a recipe

Greek kabob on a roll sandwiches. You marinate the beef or lamb for that sandwich (before cooking) until the meat turns white, about 24-48 hours.

Last edited:
Large cuts of meat often require a long soak. I tend to use a brine instead of a marinade for anything needing more than 24 hours.

don't forget about enzymes in marinades, both dairy and fruit. depending on the protein, if you let it go to long you'll get mush. i've marinated pork and lean beef until they had the consistency of soft liver, and not in a good way.

it still was eaten, though ( pac, i'm surprised your ridgebacks didn't get the mistakes) but then i was on a munchy bender and hot sauce cures all....

Tom mate I can never forget about enzymes, I have nightmares every since my wife washed my bill grundies in biological washing powder and the machine did not rinse them properly, I got this rash that made my....................:bounce::bounce::eek:

don't forget about enzymes in marinades, both dairy and fruit. depending on the protein, if you let it go to long you'll get mush. i've marinated pork and lean beef until they had the consistency of soft liver, and not in a good way.

it still was eaten, though ( pac, i'm surprised your ridgebacks didn't get the mistakes) but then i was on a munchy bender and hot sauce cures all....

I'm more careful about what I feed the poochies than myself ;)

One recipe I had for bulgogi (or was it kal bi) is one that actually had sugar as the first part of the marinade and it did over-tenderize to the point where the meat was mushy. So now I just do it over night. Since they are very thin slices of beef over night seems about right.

One recipe I had for bulgogi (or was it kal bi) is one that actually had sugar as the first part of the marinade and it did over-tenderize to the point where the meat was mushy. So now I just do it over night. Since they are very thin slices of beef over night seems about right.

Kalbi (galbi) means rib in Korean and is generally short ribs on the bone.

I agree about loads of sugar in the marinade.

If you are using tenderloin, I wouldn't go that length of time. Sirlion would probably be fine.

Craig

Yeah, I know the difference between kal bi and bulgogi, just can't remember which I turned to mush with too much sugar for too long. And I can't even begin to say how many spellings I've seen for both! Oh, now I've done it, I want both and chop chae and yaki mandoo, and there isn't a Korean restaurant within a 2 hour drive and do I really want to do all that cooking?

the other thing I ruined by marinading too long was something Indian (don't remember what; just that it was a chicken dish) and there was yogurt. While my messed up Korean dish was still edible, the yogurt ate the chicken so much it was unrecognizable!

Last edited:
If you are using tenderloin, I wouldn't go that length of time. Sirlion would probably be fine.

Craig

If you buy your red meat at a grocery, I am sure that is good advice. But tenderloin is what I have, so tenderloin is what I use;). I have either ground meat, or tenderloin, in the freezer. We used to do our own butchering, and those are my preferred cuts.

The recipe I use is called Korean Style Chevon and uses a bulgogi type marinade. The recipe calls for the meat to be cut into one inch cubes. The main ingredient in the marinade is soy sauce. I usually cut up two pounds of meat and grill it up in batches. The last batch is in the marinade at least three days. This recipe can also be used for kabobs.

I like to marinate beef liver in milk for about 15 minutes to tenderize. However, I once let it go for an hour - liquid liver!

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it better than starting a new one.

I meant to make cuban pork chops last night but did not so they have been marinating in orange juice, lime juice and vinegar for nearly 24 hours. Do you all think it is safe to cook? I don't mind if the texture is different, just whether it is healthy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom