"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Mario Batali

This guy is the man. Before I saw him compete on Iron Chef America, I had no idea he was capable of such complex flavors and presentations because you would've never gotten that from any of his previous shows. He's taken on and beaten some really great chefs, but none more so than Rick Tramonto of Chicago's Tru Restaurant. This guy, along with Grant Achatz, is arguably the 2nd best chef in Chicago behind Charlie Trotter. The fact that Tramonto even brought along Gale Gand to do his desserts basically put Mario against two great chefs. If ICA keeps going, I really do hope they change the other three (with all due respect to Morimoto, but his food is not cut out to go up against cuisine in America today), but Batali is definitely a keeper. His skill level is so far and beyond Bobby Flay it's mind blowing.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

You didn't realize that Mario was more than just a pretty face, short pants showing lots of leg, and funky orange "clogs"????

Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't get to see this episode, but have watched many of his other ones..He, has a way of doing things that allows the average cook like myself to be able to make his recipes and all of them are taste sensations..He has an easy way about him that makes you feel as if you were in his kitchen and he was teaching just you..I also like his way of telling you about all the different regions in Italy..Food, travel, in the comfort of you own home
kadesma
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Really, kadesma - Mario does down to earth "peasant" or "grandma" style cooking most of the time. And that is what he promotes ... sometimes simple is the best. But - when he has to crank it up ... he does know his way around a kitchen!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Really, kadesma - Mario does down to earth "peasant" or "grandma" style cooking most of the time. And that is what he promotes ... sometimes simple is the best. But - when he has to crank it up ... he does know his way around a kitchen!
I'd endorse that opinion.
I used to watch him on TVFood Channel, and he always impressed me.
Then I tried a few of his recipes.Verbatim.
They also impressed me.
Thwn I bought a few of his books. MORE kudos.

he has an encyclopedia of flavours in his head, and he uses them to perfection, as far as I'm concerned.
Bravo, Molto Mario!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I honestly dont like his show on foodnetwork called Malto Mario I think? However, I do like watching him on iron chef. I think I prefer the kitchen stadium because everyone starts out with the same ingredients, yet they each have their own twist on specialties as opposed to Malto Mario show which is stricty (I think) italian.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

I love Mario. Having grown up around a lot of Italian people, I can say he is definately the real thing.
Even though he cooks with a lot of exotic things that I can't get my hands on here in the sticks, I have learned a LOT about cooking from him. In fact, I've learned a lot from many of the chefs I've watched on Food Network.

Kadesma, you echoed my sentiments exactly.
I doubt I'll ever travel abroad, but if I do, Tuscony will be my destination.

Ironchef, I really don't care for Bobby Flay, and frankly, don't think much of his cooking style either. It seems that everything he cooks has to have a hot pepper in it.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thats true Constance, he does seem to be the real thing, having grown up around italians as well. Bobby Flay seems to do alot with hot peppers, but I think that is his regional cooking, much like italians use garlic and basil, etc. This is why I like watching ironchef america. They mix it up and make it challenging.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

His TV shows display that he is the real deal when it comes to authentic Italian regional cooking.

It's no surprise ICA confirms his knowledge and understanding of ingredients goes beyond down home Italian cooking.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I think Mario would be fun to have a beer with. I'll buy. Then he may fix my dinner.