Marmite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter and her fiancee eat it. He lives in England (so doe she now) She was excited when she found it in the grocery store here. She insisted that I would love it. Nope, not even like.

It makes a much better seasoning - I use it to flavour soups, stews and other cooked food. Personally, I do not like eating it as a spread, but I always have it in my kitchen. I have emigrated from South Africa, and it is one of those items always on my SA 'shopping' list

I finally bought some yesterday. It is nothing like what I expected. So far I have just tried it spread on a little bread (not even toasted) just to taste it. It does seem to be an acquired taste, but I could see acquiring that taste pretty easily. My daughter always wants to eat whatever I am eating even if she does not know what it is (I love how adventurous she is with food). She, of course, wanted some of what I had. I told her she may not like it, but could try it if she wanted. She took a bite and said YUMM. Then she wanted more. I gave her a big piece this time. Then she decided she didn't like it anymore. 2 seconds later she was back to liking it. Such is life with a 3 year old.

It was a sort of bitter flavor that I was not expecting. I will have to try it as a hot drink. That seems like a way I would really like it.

I tried it again last night on a piece of toast with butter. This stuff is growing on me quickly. It has a savory flavor and I really enjoy the aftertaste it leaves in my mouth. The aftertaste is similar to MSG in a way.

When you put it on buttered toast to you put your butter on first or your Marmite first?

GB, YAY! You finally were able to try it! I'm still exploring the taste. I like it with butter on toast, and cheese, and cheese and crackers.
One of my friends at work that tried it thought the smell of it was so foul, she almost wretched. :LOL:
Another friend tried a 1/4 piece of toast and barely survived it. Another quite adventurous friend at work tried it on a whole piece of buttered toast and thought it was 'okay', and had an interesting taste. ~Bliss

Im a Vegemite girl myself, I have been bought up on it ever since I was a baby, not even crawling, so were my own kids, but I guess most of us Aussies LOVE it, Im not really into Marmite or Promite, they are all very similar, but it depends on your taste, I would give Vegemite a go if you can possibly get any.

Back
Top Bottom