Marmite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
After a dozen years of wanting to try Vegemite, and reading about it and its similar competitors, I tried Marmite last night. (And lived to see today :LOL:)
It could be considered I guess a condiment, or a nutritional supplement.
I ended up with 6 little jars, hoping that I'll like it. The serving size is 1/2 teaspoon and with the strong flavors, the serving size makes sense.
I had read about how great and how horrible this stuff has been reviewed so I had to try it for myself.
I toasted bread, buttered it and then 'scraped' some on top using very little. You can't consider it 'spread', 'scraped' is more appropriate.
It was salty and it had an interesting taste. It lingered long after swallowing, a back of the tongue rich kind of flavor. Reminded me of a very dark roasted beef gravy flavor, but not exactly. Now I understand why people say it's an acquired taste, because it's distinctive and you either love it or hate it.
Has anyone else tried this? (I didn't grow up with it.) ~Bliss

I love the stuff and spread it on (no scraping), it makes nice hot drinks too.
Vegamite is great also, I love em both, but it`s much harder to spread.

Hi Blissful

I was brought up on Vegemite, like most aussie kids (ask any australian there is a song from an tv advertisement years ago, but I won't put you through the agony of me singing it!).

Marmite is a little sweeter and not quite as strong as Vegemite but it is a great source of vitamin B and iron. It depends on your taste buds as to how thick you spread it. I like it thinly spread.

My grandma used to pour hot water from the kettle straight over the top and we would wait for it to melt and it was like a beef broth.

A couple of suggestions:

Vegemite and cheese sandwiches
Margarine and vegemite on a hot bread stick
A favourite after a big night out - two pieces of bread toasted with vegemite, whole egg mayo and topped with salad.
Lebanese bread buttered and spread with vegemite sprinkled with grated cheese, rolled up and put in the breville for a few minutes until cheese has melted.

Hope this helps.
Cath

I really have to try this stuff. I have been wanting to for a while, but just never have. Next time I see it I am going to buy some.

Hi Blissful

I was brought up on Vegemite, like most aussie kids (ask any australian there is a song from an tv advertisement years ago, but I won't put you through the agony of me singing it!).

Marmite is a little sweeter and not quite as strong as Vegemite but it is a great source of vitamin B and iron. It depends on your taste buds as to how thick you spread it. I like it thinly spread.

My grandma used to pour hot water from the kettle straight over the top and we would wait for it to melt and it was like a beef broth.

A couple of suggestions:

Vegemite and cheese sandwiches
Margarine and vegemite on a hot bread stick
A favourite after a big night out - two pieces of bread toasted with vegemite, whole egg mayo and topped with salad.
Lebanese bread buttered and spread with vegemite sprinkled with grated cheese, rolled up and put in the breville for a few minutes until cheese has melted.

Hope this helps.
Cath

I would have liked to hear you sing it Cath. :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Thank you for ALL the information and suggestions. I'm going to be trying it out this week-end some more. The girls at work told me I wouldn't have to 'coerce' (sp?) them into trying it so I'm bringing it to work Monday with bread and butter. ~Bliss

I really have to try this stuff. I have been wanting to for a while, but just never have. Next time I see it I am going to buy some.
GB, that's how I ended up waiting a dozen years--I couldn't find it anywhere (though I stay home a lot.) I found it on amazon.com when I was ordering some computer hardware. Good luck and I hope you find some soon. ~Bliss

Thanks Cath! That is a very sweet offer. I know my market carries either vegemite or marmite (can't remember which), but it was so nice of you to offer to send some. That is what I love about this site. People genuinley want to help each other. It is not just words. You do not find that at very many places.

Is vege and marmite the types of things that last forever or do they have to be used up in a certain amount of time?

Would ingestion of this increase the possibility of an over abundance of bad yeast in the body or would it have no effect?

awwe Cath, you are too nice! I'm just happy to have tried marmite! And I redouble what GB says, you are too sweet.
Although vegemite (from the sounds of things) can't be sold here, it is acceptable for personal use (something about the US trade and folic acid regulations--i might have that right?). I'm guessing this is why I couldn't find it on amazon.com or most retailers. That problem may have been resolved by now, but, I live in the midwest and I don't see imports as much as the coasts see them.
JGDean-I don't think yeast extracts are the same as yeasts, though, it would be nice to have an expert on the subject say something here.
I'm always willing to learn. ~Blissful

GB, thanks that was sweet, and it lasts a lifetime in either the fridge or the cupboard. If you go on to Vegemite - Home, I just found some awesome recipes that I didn't know of. Thinking of making vegemite pizza for dinner tonight - yum!

JG, if you are yeast sensitive I would probably steer away as it is a concentrated yeast extract but it is quite a strong and salty taste. On my 2 pieces of toast of a morning I would be lucky to use a quarter to half of a teaspoon on both pieces.

Blissful, you may find the song on their website as above.

PM me with your address if you would like some.

I know what you mean about imports, I live an hour from Sydney and we have limited specialty stores here, I had to drive to Sydney to get Graham Crackers!

I think it is the folic acid regulations from memory.

Aussies have been eating this stuff for the past 70 odd years and we are all ok (except for maybe the antennas growing out of our heads and webbed toes), no seriously, I suppose it is a cultural thing, who knows.

You know it is a derivative of beer - typical us, a beer and a bbq/party is never too far away!

YT--how do you make a hot drink with it? TIA Bliss

put about a T spoon of marmite into a mug and pour on hot water from the kettle and stir well, you can add a little white pepper to it also.
same works with OXO cubes and the likes.

I grew up with it being an aussie, but i still hate it .... :LOL::LOL:

Funny funny--
Oh the song is just TOO precious, all those little voices! I guess it could drive one crazy! If it doesn't make you at least smile then you can't be human.

We're happy little Vegemites

As bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our Vegemite

For breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mother says we're growing

stronger every single week.

Because we love our Vegemite.

We all adore our Vegemite.

It puts a rose in every cheek!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I guess I just learned what a commercial sounded like on the down under continent! Imagine growing up hearing that all the time.:LOL:

I tried the marmite with cheese on toast and crackers, yum. I think I've acquired a taste for it! ~Bliss

<<< I guess I just learned what a commercial sounded like on the down under continent! Imagine growing up hearing that all the time.:LOL:>>>

It drives you absolutely crazy, now I can't get it out of my head :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom