Marsala Wine, Dry or Sweet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Hopz,
I think dry is the traditional for chiz marsala, but I use the sweet, for me it's just a matter of preference..Sweet is wonderful in a taramisu and some desserts. My opinion of course:LOL:
kadesma:)

Sweet is typically for dessert dishes, while dry is for savory.

That being said, some folks swear by sweet for dishes such as chicken, veal or pork marsala. There are not a lot of dishes that I like sweet so I stick with the traditional and use dry marsala for savory dishes.

Well, I learned something today. Never knew there was anything but sweet Marsala. Love veal, for example, but can't hack veal Marsala cuz it tastes too sweet to me.

Interesting. I, too, never heard of anything but sweet Marsala. As a matter of fact, any brand I bought was simply labeled Marsala, so I wouldn't know how to find a dry one! I use dry vermouth if I don't want that sweet flavor.

Actually, even "dry" Marsala is sort of on the "sweet" side - just like "dry" or "cocktail" sherry. The Marsala just marked "Marsala" that I have bought in the past has always been the "dry", such as it is.

I've seen a brand of marsala the did not have a dry or sweet designation on it. Upon reading the print that described the wine, I found it was sweet. I don't know if that's always true.

I buy Florio marsala and it is labeled dry or sweet.

Back
Top Bottom